Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Leupold Variable Eye Relief

EastTNHunter

I may be the only one to have noticed this, but why does Leupold have a variable eye relief when you adjust the power? I have a Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40 that has great optical quality, light transmission, etc, and I can keep a fixed stock cheek weld when adjusting the zoom power.

I have 2 VX2 3-9x40s (gosh, I wish that they still made this scope), 2 Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40s, and 1 VX1 3-9x40, and they all require me to adjust my stock cheek weld forward or back when I adjust the power. Do the VX5 and VX6 have the same adjustment window?

I’m starting to think ahead to my next riflescope, and want it to be nicer than what I already have, but I lean towards the Zeiss features (I’m told that Meopta is very similar, but haven’t been able to verify this) over my preference of American made Leupold because of this one issue. I’d REALLY prefer a VX5 if the zoom works better on them. What are your experiences? If you have noticed this, how do you overcome the eye relief issue, especially when trying to balance between short sleeved preseason practice and sight in (don’t want to get scope cut), and late winter layers in awkward field positions?

For the record, I’ve had one Zeiss and one Leupold fail on me, and customer service on both were top notch.

My understanding is you should set the scope to max power when the eye relief is the smallest, then shoulder it so the eye relief is correct for you. The last scope I had mounted I did this both standing and sitting at a bench, making minor adjustments. I have not had any issues.

All the Leupold's I own (including VX5's) have more critical, and shorter, eye relief on max power. I set my eye relief at max power and it becomes less critical when on lower power. I've also noticed that smaller objective diameter Leupold scopes have more critical and shorter eye relief on max power, which is annoying if you have a heavy recoiling rifle.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back