Leupold scopes

northwoodsPT

Looking for opinions on the Leopoldo scope line up. I have a Remington 700 30-06 that I am getting set up for a Colorado rifle elk hunt next season. Any opinions on the Leupold VX Freedom vs the Leupold VX3i? I'm leaning towards the CDS in whatever model I go with but don't see myself shooting much beyond 400 Yds. I like the price point of the Freedom but worry about quality and durability as we hunt in some rough thick terrain out there.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Either will be fine. I wouldn’t worry about quality or durability if it says leupold. I’ve never had on issue with one. I have a couple that are 20+ years old and no issues.

I have the VX3i with cds and it’s pretty amazing. I also have the VX2 and only reason I don’t have another one of those is they stopped making them.

I have leupold scopes on all my rifles but the one I've never shot. It's a number mountain ascent and im saving my cans for the right scope. I have scopes from vx2 to the 5. I cant tell difference between the 2 and 3, but the 5 is really nice. Since I don't shoot past 400 I havent found a need for the CDs. Cant go wrong w any leupold

I concur with those above, if you don't plan on shooting past 400, a CDS is not needed. Its a nice feature, don't get me wrong, but not really necessary. Im sure the Freedom line is just fine, but for equipment I depend on, I always steer away from 'budget' anything. Go with the VX3i, you wont be disappointed. PM Schmalts on here for a great price and good service.

Thanks for the input. I also get worried about the bottom of the product line not just with scopes but with any outdoor gear. With a 30-06 I know there is some significant bullet drop out at 400yds which is why I was thinking CDS. However in taking to a leupold rep he cautioned that the dial can move if hunting thick terrain. He recommended the vx5 with a zero stop CDS but that's a big jump in price.

Both my 30/06 and 300WM rifles have Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50mm scopes. They are over 20 years old and still flawless after traveling countless mountain miles on foot or horseback scabbards. They see better in low light than my Zeiss Binoculars.
I have a VX3 in 6.5-20x40 that I had Leupold put turrets on many years ago which I shoot several different loads in my 243 Ackley so no to CDS.
I am considering having them convert my 300WM Leupold scope to CDS as I have a load that I have used for years, see no reason to change, hunt predictable altitudes and weather averages 90% of the time and have used on antelope, deer, elk and moose. I think the question is do you have a load that you always shoot or are you jumping around with different weight bullets, manufacturers and bullet speeds? I think that matters...

Thanks for the input. I also get worried about the bottom of the product line not just with scopes but with any outdoor gear. With a 30-06 I know there is some significant bullet drop out at 400yds which is why I was thinking CDS. However in taking to a leupold rep he cautioned that the dial can move if hunting thick terrain. He recommended the vx5 with a zero stop CDS but that's a big jump in price.

If you get the custom dial it comes with zero stop, the generic one that the scope comes with does not. I have a few VX2 and VX3s with custom CDS dials and all are easily returned to zero.

I have a VX2 on my 30-06. I zero at 250, so out to about 450 yards I can aim into the high shoulder and have a lethal hit without a CDS.

Cush and I think alike. I prefer a good duplex reticle. I know BDCs and turrets are all the rage these days, but in my experience, in 90% of hunting situations, MPBR or some version thereof is the way to go in the mountains. But to each his own.

That said, you won't be disappointed by anything made by Leupold. They make really good, rugged optics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back