Leupold CDS question...

potsy89

Im looking to order a CDS for my VX-6. My question is about how accurate do I need to be for the elevation? I am hunting CO this year and the elevation range is anywhere from 7500-10500 ft (depending on snow). I also hunt in southwest WA were I live and the elevation here where I usually hunt is 1500-4000 ft. Im guessing the best thing to do would be get one for each location, but with a wide range of elevation is it better to error on the low side or high side??? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could do one for each but at hunting distances it won't Hardly make a difference.
Go to hornady app or download AE ballistics enter your rounds info at sea level. Then do it at 10k. What's your difference at 500 yards?

Another thing to remember is while altitude increases temperature likely drops causing an offset.

Pick your favorite ballistic app or a website like jbm, and bench race them. No need to guess when you can know.

I contacted Leupold about the same issue as I live at around 1000 foot elevation. They said you have about 2000 foot of elevation change either way of what you specify for your dial before it extremely affects your accuracy.

It also depend on the distance you plan on shooting from. If you plan on shooting long distance 600 yards or more or more then you should get 2 dials.

Using this http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator I get a difference of just under 3 inches at 500 yards with my round when comparing sealevel to 10k, with the same climate factors. Adjust for more realistic humidity and temp at 10k and you're at slightly over 2 inches. (1/2 MOA or better).

Like Muley said that's a mathematical guess and should be verified with real data, but I would just take an average go try it out and probably worry about something else.

In Texas last month at 1700 feet I was banging 12" steel targets at 700 yards with my 6500 foot dial.

How far you plan to shoot is probably the deciding factor.

I contacted Leupold about the same issue as I live at around 1000 foot elevation. They said you have about 2000 foot of elevation change either way of what you specify for your dial before it extremely affects your accuracy.

Thanks, I contacted them as well and thats exactly what they told me. In the NW most shots are 100-300 yards so Im planning on getting the higher elevation dial. Thanks all for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back