Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lets talk spike camp location

Tufrthnails

So me and my brother are hunting Colorado for the first time next week and we will have base camp, but we are spike camping a couple times during the week if we get on animals. So where is the proper place to set a spike camp. I got thinking about it and I really dont know the ins and outs of it. we are hunting between 8k and 11500 weather permitting not our choise just the units we are in. I would think leeward side of predominant or expected wind and not in the bottom of the bowl or ridge.

If parking on a specific animal or herd sometimes what makes a good spot to camp has to go out the window. Setting up a backcountry camp to spend a couple days hunting out of is another matter. Just different set-ups for different purposes. If it's flat-ish and you're not so exposed that weather will overwhelm your gear, that's about the best you can hope for sometimes.

Pretty situational, but my priorities would be where I have the least impact on deer activity (wind, visibility) and ease of access to morning hunting. It sure is nice to step outside the tent and be ready to glass. Some spots work out that way, others dont. If I'm spiking out its because my morning access is too long or would be right through where I'm expecting deer. So, they usually end up being up high.

Choose an area where the daily thermals won't broadcast the smells of camp into the area you plan to hunt. I have had successful hunts while camping very close (about 250 yards) to my target area due to a small ridge separating the two. The prevailing winds in the afternoon would take camp smells up and down the draw I was camped in but never sent it up and over that tiny ridge where the animals were, and I never saw any of the Elk and Deer lift their noses over the course of several days. I learned a lot about air movement on that hunt. Every area is different of course but use topography to your advantage.

The way I look at it the places elk like to bed are also places I like to have a camp. Level ground with shade in the Afternoon out of the wind, with water close by. So it may be I'm in their wheel house if I'm in good elk country. I've had rutting bulls fighting over cows in my camp, and I've had jerks put a wall tent right where my dad shot a bull the year prior.

If I was spiking in a basin, I'd camp closer to the front edge than the head of the basin. Probably within view of the trail leading up into it. That way anyone coming up into there knows you are up there, and with luck they will get discouraged and hit another one.
An additional benefit is you can hunt back down to camp in the evening, and your camp is close to water if there is a creek coming out of the basin.

If I'm ridge running and peeking into ridge fingers, I'll find a sheltered bench behind the ridge when I find elk at last light. Be careful camping along the trails running over the saddles because that's the local wildlife highway. Before first light I'll be headed to the high point to watch those saddles and the open parks below.

Find a level spot, near water, and camp. :cool: Don't be loud, don't have big fires, etc. Camp in a spot you can slip in and out of without being seen from distant ridges/hillsides, avoid areas where you think they will be bedding/feeding. Elk can see pretty well, and will pick up movement from half a mile or more away.

There is little you can do to avoid the "wind" blowing your scent. It blows up and it blows down, and sideways throughout the day. Your scent is pretty diluted after 6-700 yards. Thermals are predictable, but not always in the mountains. They will do screwy stuff if its really sunny and you have steep shaded walls in a canyon for instance. To be honest I have never worried about my scent blowing into an area that I plan to hunt from where I'm camped, but I don't camp where the animals are, or will be. I try to stay half a mile or more away.

I've killed a lot of elk over the years, and been on a lot of elk hunts, and my best piece of advice is this... If you are not where you want to be the first hour or last hour of of shooting light, you are wasting your time. "Hunting" your way to the good spot will = no dead elk. They are timbered up once the sun is up, especially once they know hunting season is on. Camp in an area where you can easily slip into/out of in the dark to that spot... I have spots that take 2 hours to hike into in the dark. Its easier to walk in 2 hours than pack in a camp and pack it out with an elk.

Elk don't usually spend much time along creek bottoms, so its almost always a safe spot to camp and not be bumping them. Don't overthink it. Your camp spot is not going to be the deciding factor of you killing an elk or not.

Good luck on your hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back