Let’s talk about firewood

This is what I’ve used the last 10 years. This, coupled with their wedge will split anything. I’ve split Chinese elm, mullberry, hackberry ect. And it will get through it all. It’s not cheap, but the high impact plastic head is replaceable and greatly reduces hand shock when you’re hammering a wedge all day.
 
If it is to hard to split I just cut it shorter and it splits easier. If it is still a problem I just cut it longwise. Then it will split.
 
For those splitting by hand, anyone use a monster maul? The red, all steel, triangle shaped head. I grew up with my dad and an uncle using them.
I have one and hate it. Must not be made to split hard stuff like Hickory. Just bounces off!
 
After 25 years splitting with traditional mauls and breaking a few handles, the past 25 years of using my 22 ton hydraulic splitter (overhauled once after frozen in river ice dam flood) has made a real difference to my old aching shoulders.

Firewood.jpg
 
For those splitting by hand, anyone use a monster maul? The red, all steel, triangle shaped head. I grew up with my dad and an uncle using them.
I use a yellow, 8 lb honker for the wet stuff, even then I end up using a wedge on the wet maple
 
Last edited:
After 25 years splitting with traditional mauls and breaking a few handles, the past 25 years of using my 22 ton hydraulic splitter (overhauled once after frozen in river ice dam flood) has made a real difference to my old aching shoulders.

View attachment 415571
Déjà vu. Stack of logs and a 22 ton splitter.

My neighbors 37 ton splitter was awesome. By my math, 30% faster in production.
 
IMG_5695.jpeg Finished stacking wood on Monday. Wife had first burn of the year this morning. We have just over two years worth in the stack. I’ll figure out the next strategy in 2028. I’m keeping track of how many front porch rows we burn this year. It’ll provide better accuracy after two years in the cordage we burn.
 
View attachment 418221 Finished stacking wood on Monday. Wife had first burn of the year this morning. We have just over two years worth in the stack. I’ll figure out the next strategy in 2028. I’m keeping track of how many front porch rows we burn this year. It’ll provide better accuracy after two years in the cordage we burn.
How many sq ft is your house? I can’t imagine needing that much for 2 winters.
 
How many sq ft is your house? I can’t imagine needing that much for 2 winters.
IMG_2686.jpeg
2,500 sq footish. I live at 4k’ and this is our only heating source by choice. We’ll burn early October thru early May. Late December to March is a hard burn for heat. We usually stoke the fire if we get up to wee ourselves or the dogs. Yes, the house is insulated extremely well. After 20 years of burning in this house, we burn 6 1/2 to 8 cord based on the coldness of the winter. We burn less if we have a good snow insulation on the roof. We seem to be burning more wood the last few years.
IMG_7541.jpeg
This stack was 2 and a partial year worth of wood.

Edit: we’re burning log pole pine. A good hardwood would cut our cordage need down.
 
View attachment 418229
2,500 sq footish. I live at 4k’ and this is our only heating source by choice. We’ll burn early October thru early May. Late December to March is a hard burn for heat. We usually stoke the fire if we get up to wee ourselves or the dogs. Yes, the house is insulated extremely well. After 20 years of burning in this house, we burn 6 1/2 to 8 cord based on the coldness of the winter. We burn less if we have a good snow insulation on the roof. We seem to be burning more wood the last few years.
View attachment 418230
This stack was 2 and a partial year worth of wood.

Edit: we’re burning log pole pine. A good hardwood would cut our cordage need down.
Sprawling two story. How do you get the heat circulated throughout?
 
Back
Top