Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Let the Fires Burn!

I saw that, it was a very good documentery!!!
biggrin.gif

Hey cool pics. Russ Must have had a good camera man on the one you were sawing with the stump on fire. I wanted to address the hunting aspect of the fires, and clearcuts(after all this is a hunting web). I hunt in an area where there is hardly any parks there the clearcuts that have been cut twenty years ago are a blessing to the elk habitat.If we had a little more grass(result of clearcuts)
we wouldn't have so many elk moving down to
farmers and ranchers fields in the early fall.I also hunt in a region that just burned and understand that it takes more than 3 yrs.(so far) in some cases for justgrass to come back ! now what does that do eventually
to the elk population. I think in this case where the fire occured the thinning of trees
and maybe clearcutting of it would have been beneficial.because(in my opinion) the fire wouldn't even haveleft the canyon.And the wash outs, and road closures that occured wouldn't have.

Ten Bears, I think clearcuts COULD BE good habitat for deer and elk, if they were done right. I think they've gotten to the point now that they are managed too much for timber production and nothing else...around here anyway. They are replanted, usually with douglas fir, and then sprayed with an herbicide that kills everything that a deer and/or elk would want to eat. So they really aren't of much benefit to wildlife, at least not like they could be if they were managed for wildlife first and timber second.

Another problem along with this is the fact that they plant them just way to close together...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back