Leaving for Wyoming tomorrow

.270Rem

My buddy and I have nearly everything in the truck and found a few minutes this afternoon to burn a little powder to check zeros on the .270s. I think we have enough stuff and will be ready for the looooooong drive from VA. Another friend texted and they set their CO camp up for 1st season elk.

What a fine time of the year. Safe and easy travels HT folk and best of luck no matter what you chase or where you go.

Man did we have the wind yesterday. For a good while we had it helping push us, but then it turned North and just sucked gas mileage down. Made Laramie right after dark and the last climb was a bit hairy and memorable for my first time doing it. Thanks to all for the kind words. We will scout today after errands and letting things start to melt.

Safe travels all. Reminder that it doesn't take much weather out here to mess with the roads. I-80 was closed this morning from Cheyenne to Laramie.

Good Luck, I am setting out for Montana in 7 days!!! I am pumped. Please post some pics of your adventure if you get a chance!!!!

Better weather coming next few days.
Good luck and the best beer in town is made at The Library, imo.

Always a hoot to hear about WY weather. Only been 2 weeks since I left and it was almost high-summer feeling from
Laramie through the bighorns and into the black hills. Things change fast!

We made it back to Virginia a bit earlier than planned. And we learned when you fill your tags early you can go explore places like the Snowies and soak in the Saratoga hot springs to ease your creaky bones.

We left the truck about daybreak on the Opener and eased along and found fresh tracks in some snow. They faded quickly, but we changed our course and that made a difference. We had found our way on to a two track in the valley when suddenly a herd crested the ridge we intended to cross and were coming right at us. Our guess was something spooked them and they had been heading right at the sun and we had the wind in our face/favor.

Luck was with us totally and after some decent shooting, we had two big cows down before 8:20. After filling our tags and taking pictures my buddy was blown away by the size of each one and the work we had before us. The knives came out after 10 and I put the truck in Drive and headed for town after 7. We were both spent after a couple trips to the truck and the Jet Sled made it easier, but we wished we had more snow to help with the drag.

Our distance to the truck was over a mile and thankfully not any further since we had two to move. Many have had it worse than we did and I call that more luck for us. Both of us used .270's, me with 130 Barnes TSX's and Mark, Ballistic Silvertips in 130 grains too I think. Due to their sudden arrival in range, I shot from the kneeling position and Mark from prone using his bipod. His shot was just over 200 and mine just under. And boy did we wish we had a bull tag when we saw the brute running with all those cows.

After two previous elk hunts of my own and burning two other tags I never had the chance to hunt, I'll savor this easy hunt and the great opening day. The cow and calf Shiras moose were a bonus on Monday when we went looking for a shady spot to bone out quarters.

This forum made a difference for me and helped convince me to apply and make my time count in the field. Thank you for making the seasons last all year and who knows what we will try next year.

Ranchers Meat Locker in Cheyenne froze our quarters and I recommend them if you want a local processor. Wal-Mart in Laramie didn't have dry ice. Luckily, Ridley's did though and that made a difference for a warm ride home. We pushed through without stops and were beat from the trip, but the meat was fine.

Attachments

• 20231016_113751.jpg
    20231016_113751.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20231015_085817.jpg
    20231015_085817.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • 20231015_085003(0).jpg
    20231015_085003(0).jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 106
  • 20231015_091600.jpg
    20231015_091600.jpg