Learning About Bears - How old do they get in the wild?

COEngineer

I was surprised when I took my bear to CPW and they said she was 8+ years old. They said the tooth analysis data "might" be posted online next spring. I was curious what data they made available so I looked and unfortunately it is just the age (not breeding status and whatever else they get from the tooth analysis). Scrolling through the 2019 data (2020 data is not out yet), I was amazed to see quite a few bears in their 20's and one aged at 30 years! A quick google search says the oldest wild black bear ever was in MN and was 39 yrs old! I guess I'm just used to thinking about prey animals that are lucky to make in to their teens.

Year Seal# Age Age Range
1635258822534.png

Attachments

• 1635258686159.png
    1635258686159.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure I trust anomaly in data from one testing method.

I have no idea how long they can live. I would suspect that there some weird outliers like any thing though. How long do they live in zoos?

I'm not sure I trust anomaly in data from one testing method.

I have no idea how long they can live. I would suspect that there some weird outliers like any thing though. How long do they live in zoos?
I found this regarding accuracy (CO does not use Matson's, but I would assume they are similarly capable):
"Harshyne et al. (1998) found that Matson’s Laboratory cementum age estimates for 521 Pennsylvania black bears were 92% accurate with the remaining 8% aged within +/- 1 year." from here: https://matsonslab.com/the-science/news-publications/

As far as I can find with an internet search, the black bear that died of old age in MN was the oldest ever American black bear at 39 years, wild or captive.

I found this regarding accuracy (CO does not use Matson's, but I would assume they are similarly capable):
"Harshyne et al. (1998) found that Matson’s Laboratory cementum age estimates for 521 Pennsylvania black bears were 92% accurate with the remaining 8% aged within +/- 1 year." from here: https://matsonslab.com/the-science/news-publications/

As far as I can find with an internet search, the black bear that died of old age in MN was the oldest ever American black bear at 39 years, wild or captive.
We (Matson's) do age all of Colorado's (CPW) bears as far as I know. Not that it really matters, just letting you know. I believe since at least 2007 we have.

Looking at their 2020 data, the oldest black bear from Colorado we aged was a sow at 32 with a range of 31-33.

In general the western states seem to have older bears than the eastern states. The eastern states, especially North Carolina are producing some very hefty bears as we sometimes get weights to compare against ages.

The oldest black bear we have aged was 35, from Idaho. We have aged a brown bear at 39 from Alaska. However, I know of a 40 year old brown bear from Alaska. The DFG contacted us a few years back to confirm the age from a bear we aged as 24 in 2001. They sent us the slide from 2001 and we confirmed it was indeed 24. Since it was 24 in 2001 this puts the birth year at 1977, meaning in 2017 when it was captured it would have been 40. What made this story really neat was that they had just recaptured it in 2017 with a fat yearling. However, since they didn't pull another tooth in 2017, we could not add it to our oldest animals aged via cementum analysis.

See attached photo of the 24 year old from 2001. Not sure if it's still alive but if so it would be 44. Bears can live a long time. We aren't exactly right all the time, but these older bears are truly that old, or close to it.

Attachments

• 24 Year Old Brown Bear 2001 Labeled.jpg
    24 Year Old Brown Bear 2001 Labeled.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The following article has some interesting info on the old age of a Wyoming grizzly bear:

ClearCreek

A friend got a 25 yr old bear here in Pa and the few Ive gotten were all 7 to 10 yrs old
I think bears live longer than we would think

this is an ongoing and never ending study, but as of last year we believe the bears in the far north have shorter lives than their southern cousins

This is only from the three Territories

Grizzly and Black. 25, but 15 to 20 for most
White. 30, but 15 to 25 for most

Also, some disagree with us, depending on their agenda. Climate control people believe the life expectancy of the White bear is continually going down because of climate. Non hunting folks believe the Grizzly is less, because of hunting. Most believe that the Black is living longer but not as healthy ( that is a contradiction in terms if I ever heard one )

The ones that live in zoos tend to live longer ( or can ), diet, wildlife hazards, medical assistance, hunting, climate control. However there is a group who want to eliminate zoos, like they did the circus, but this would be a different thread.

We (Matson's) do age all of Colorado's (CPW) bears as far as I know. Not that it really matters, just letting you know. I believe since at least 2007 we have.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't remember if I had read somewhere that they didn't or if it was just an inference on my part. Either way, thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back