Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lead contamination?

JRob

So I shot my first turkey today. I used a Kent Ultimate Turkey Diamond Shot load. Just a polished lead shot. A few of the bbs went low and went through the breast. There were about four bbs in the breast meat. So my question is, would that be enough to ruin the meat? As long as the bbs were removed (obviously) would you guys recommend eating it? Thanks ahead of time!

I wouldn't worry. Removed a lot of bb's from squirrels back in the day and some were found after they were cooked. I'm nearly 50 and doing well. Dad is in his mid 70's and I know he shot way more squirrel, dove, etc. I don't particularly like dove but eat them because I shoot them and I'll cut around meat that has bad grooves from bb's.

Just cut 1/8” around the holes with a sharp fillet knife and eat away if your worried. I’ve eaten hundreds, maybe in to the thousands of dove and quail shot with lead shot and have been tested for lead several times and never been elevated outside normal population levels.

ps. get a choke, I’ve killed a lot of Turks out to 60 yards with diamond shot and a kicks turkey choke and never get pellets in the breast. Just shoot em with their head up. Diamond shot is good stuff. Lol.

Remove the BBs and eat it. Shot isn’t moving fast enough to fragment, so it’s pretty easy to pick it out. Use copper plated if it concerns you.

Thousands of pheasants and other upland game birds, rabbits, and squirrels are killed every year with lead shot. I think the greatest danger in eating any of them is cracking a tooth on a shot pellet.

Thousands of pheasants and other upland game birds, rabbits, and squirrels are killed every year with lead shot. I think the greatest danger in eating any of them is cracking a tooth on a shot pellet.
^^^This; just pick out the visibile pellets/feathers best you can.
My wife is always skeptical of me now when we are eating any birds, Steel shot doesnt give as much as Lead...

Forgot about that. Have bitten into shot many times with squirrel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back