Late Season MT Wolf Hunt - any advice?

Wrong Burgundy

With the wolf season getting close to an end, I am wanting to head out for a long day or two and see what I can call/track/find. I live in Bozeman, and received some so-so advice from MT FWP on likely spots to hunt; the info was spotty, and the woman on the line was focused more on where I would NOT find them....

The recommendation I did get from an outfitter was south of Big Sky (Taylor Fork area, etc.) as being a decent place to start. Anyone else have a suggestion? I will be on foot/snowshoe or skis, depending on the snowpack and depth. I spend a lot of time backcountry skiing, so the terrain and/or snow depth is not an issue; I just want to maximize my chances, and be in an area that is likely to hold a few wolves.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of the weekend of Feb 16th.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat as you; I have been heading out most weekends since the end of the general big game seasons and I have yet to see anything. Since we're talking about hunting wolves I think it's probably ok to share specifics (someone please correct me if I am wrong)... I have looked around Hyalite and the Spanish Peaks area without any luck.

I had buddies who hunted Hyalite pretty heavily during rifle season and they saw wolves in there so that was my reasoning for checking that area. There is apparently a huge (25+ animals from what I have seen on maps) wolf pack that resides on the Flying D Ranch. My problem with this area has been due to the size of the region... it's a 4 mile walk to just get to the NF boundary and then there is still about a 12 mile (east to west) boundary line that needs to be checked out... I just don't have the backcountry skills required to cover that much ground in a day. I've gotten as far as I can, but there is still a lot of ground that I haven't checked out. And I'm hoping that the wolves would be spending at least some of their time in the NF...

I do know that the Taylor Fork drainage has acted as traditional winter range for elk so that probably would be a great place to look.

I'm sorry that I don't really have any advice for you; I just wanted to share some of my experiences and would also like to hear what others have to say as far as wolf activity in the canyon.

I think were going to try near Gardiner now that we know forsure that fwp is keeping it open for the rest of the season. Also I cant figure out how to make my own post like you did, think you could help?

I think were going to try near Gardiner now that we know forsure that fwp is keeping it open for the rest of the season. Also I cant figure out how to make my own post like you did, think you could help?

click on "forums" on the top bar
click on the category you want to post in
click "new thread"

Ahhh well I was wondering that myself. {how to post a new thread} Thanks. As for wolves. I know you've got a few down there. Where at not sure and my guy in the know just had brain surgery to remove a clot or I could tell ya. Personally there is a bunch in the Lincoln area. And there have been some human encounters reported. Don't know that reports have been placed with FWP but I have noticed some of their pickups fitted with triangulation anteneas fitted on top plus an aquantance was up and found a couple fresh elk kills and heard them howling. So I may go there next week or on the backside of Sun River game range out of Augusta, as the elk are in there also. A bit of a drive for you, but might be worth while. Seen one up in Lincoln on sucker creek rd last year but couldnt get a shot. The ones in Lincoln are probably on Sunny Slope block management area but ya gotta call and ask Donnie for permission, I'm sure he would let you on if you pomise to smoke a pack.Ha. Thats my 2 cents for what its worth.Good luck and post pics. PM me if ya want to come up and try this out. I aint much of a hiker due to health at the moment. but I can point ya and you haul ass, I'll kill what comes in behind ya! I'll also give ya my phone # so we can discuss details. And there sre some.

Last edited:
I've also been up Hyalite snowshoeing. No tracks. Unfortunately, everyone I know who has seen/shot one has had an instance of pure chance. Suddenly, here's a wolf 70 yds away staring at them. Better be quick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back