Late fall (post berry season) bears

yakimanoob

Hey folks,

I'm looking for advice on finding bears in late fall, after the berries are gone. Based on sign in the areas I've been hunting the past few years and my cameras, the bears seem to be plenty active through mid-november at least, even though the only berries from now on are snowberries and occasionally rosehips. I think the bears are feeding on them, but they're fairly low density.

Anyone willing to share tips on locating bears this time of year? Thanks!

Curious as to your location as I have similar questions. Though I am in CA

Around here in SW Oregon and I would assume much of northern California, November is a great time to find bears. The Manzanita berries are dried up but still on the bushes. The bears just love them. So do I. You don't chew them because of the seeds but rather pop them in your mouth, re-hydrate them with your saliva and enjoy the super sweat and fruity flavor. Find some place with a lot of Manzanita and you will find bears. Also some years, like this year, there is a bumper crop of Madrone berries. The bears really like to fatten up on those.

Thanks gouch. I'll see if I can find some Manzanitas around here. Makes me wonder if the same idea applies to Kinnickinnic.

Plenty of manzanita here in the Sierras. I will make that a point of emphasis.

Here in PA, it seems like most of the country is winding down, by the time we can even go out.
Our rifle bear season is 4 days long starting the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Most in this state do drives for bear hunting. Some can be really huge with up towards 20 people!

Since i usually hunt alone, i've taken to calling.
Fawn bleat, cow elk call have worked well in the past.
Last year i switched things up with a roar, and huffing, while kicking the crap out of the leaves.
Bear ran into 5 guys, while it was moving towards me.

Going to try calling for bears this PA season. Thinking my plan is to sit and watch hollows in the morning and evening. Hike around and call during the day hours keeping notice to wind/thermals.

Hey folks,

I'm looking for advice on finding bears in late fall, after the berries are gone. Based on sign in the areas I've been hunting the past few years and my cameras, the bears seem to be plenty active through mid-november at least, even though the only berries from now on are snowberries and occasionally rosehips. I think the bears are feeding on them, but they're fairly low density.

Anyone willing to share tips on locating bears this time of year? Thanks!
well it's not a great option but I see them consistently coming into orchards this time of year to eat the fruit left behind by the pickers. They usually hit it up at night, but I've had moderate success catching them coming and going up to a 1/2 mile away.

Going to try calling for bears this PA season. Thinking my plan is to sit and watch hollows in the morning and evening. Hike around and call during the day hours keeping notice to wind/thermals.
Where in PA are you hunting?

I'm hunting Elk & Moshannon State forests. About 30 miles north of Clearfield, near Bennezette.
Always the chance of seeing elk also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back