Land access advice

mxracer317

I grew up hunting as a kid with my dad in southern Alberta, specifically pincher Creek area.

We lost my dad when he was 49 years old. I got out of hunting for about 25 years and I’m now just getting back into it full force. I want my son to have the same experiences walking where I did growing up.

fast forward, I’m now living in Utah and want to go up to pincher Creek area and hunt where I did as a kid. Totally fine with a late season OTC cow elk tag.

I think when the borders open I’m gonna head up to Canada to make a visit to some friends and drive into pincher Creek just to scout the area.

Hunting Utah, I’m a public land hunter and I’m looking for any advice on how to properly approach or even contact a rancher to ask permission to hunt on their land up in Pincher Creek, Alberta?

My dad had a relationship with these people, but like I said it was over 25 years ago and it’s time for me to build my own relationships.

Is there anything I should offer as a courtesy in exchange for allowing us access to hunt their land or the best way to ask for permission? That includes thoughts on calling on the phone or knocking on residence doors?

Last edited:
Unless you’re a current resident of Alberta, I believe you will need to go through an outfitter or a “Hunter Host.” Maybe you have those connections, though.

Last edited:
Tell them your story. Lead with it. There's a reason you want to hunt there. Your dad took you there and you want to take your son there. Probably a few, it was a dad or grandparents that let your dad on and may remember him. I like in person, but some may feel more comfortable with a phone call right now. If you get no's, when you're up there just stop in and say thanks for letting us hunt when I was a kid. Maybe you get something out of it for the next year.

By the sound of it you're right on track now. Just being polite & nice to other people seems to be getting few & far between but it seems you have that covered, I'd bet alot of the same people your dad had a relationship with will certainly remember him & possibly you for that matter. And I've seen even the hardest of the hard land owners warm up a little when a young boy or girl is involved. Good luck to you

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back