Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kuiu ultra star 1P tent review

Do you set it up and break it down everyday, or do you set it up and leave it for the duration of your hunt, and hunt around it?

OP I to have the1P tent from KUIU. Haven't been in it yet, but for what I got it for I couldn't pass it up. I plan on using it this coming September. I have read aboutthe condensation issues as well though. I hope it doean't get me to bad.

I hope it doesn't get you too bad either. As I stated, I tried to reduce the issue every way I could think of. But even with the vestibule open and the air vents open, it seemed not to matter. Also, I was hunting at about 11-12k ft in September with nighttime temps around 35

Sell the thing if you can, and get a Seek Outside LBO or a Mountain Laurel Design Duomid or similar floorless tipi-style shelter. Much better design, way more space, easy to setup. and Seek shelters are made in Colorado, MLD in Virginia.

You will have a slightly heavier shelter if you go that route, but so much more room to sleep in, store gear, etc. That is the trick with single wall shelters -- you need more headroom/legroom/overall space to reduce and minimize condensation, and a very tight pitch. The Kuiu tent has three major design flaws: very small footprint once pitched (that thing is barely wide enough for an inflatable pad, let alone a guy and a sleeping bag with any loft), it is single walled, and the position of the trekking pole as the primary point to pitch the thing is directly off your left shoulder and basically in the way of the door. I can't speak to the fabric, but seeing the pricepoint and being familiar with overseas manufacturing/fabric tech, it is likely a standard silnylon, perhaps 7D or 10D to reduce weight.

I really think it is the size/shape of the thing that makes it a lemon; way too small for the intended purpose, and it is asking too much of a single wall shelter. Just my two cents. Tipi, floorless style or absorb the weight penalty and go with a double walled shelter (tent body/rainfly).

I've been thinking about a tipi or LBO for a while. Obviously it would be great for camping in the trees on an elk hunt.
How would one be above timberline?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back