Kodiak Lodge 12x12 or Cabelas Instinct 8 person?

@Mthuntr let's hear your maiden voyage (Gerald's sheep hunt) review of your new tent!
So we spent only 3 nights in the campsite so we only experienced the rain. Had we stayed long we would have gotten a snow test.

After spending most of the day spotting sheep we set up camp just at sunset. I put down a tarp first because there was some small shrubs that were in the way...finding a level campsite big enough is tough. I set up my tent by myself in about 40 minutes because it was dark and the second time I put it together. I'm not a big fan of the nearly 12 guy wires needed to support the tent...lots of trees made for roots to dodge. Everything was dry inside despite the constant rain.

The floor is a blessing and a curse. It's nice to separate indoors and outdoors but it is impossible to keep the junk out. With just me I still tracked in a big mess.

It rained/drizzled for almost 2 days and it was bone dry. The waterproof canvas did a great job.

The stove I chose was purely based on price. I opted for the Camp Chef Alpine. It's too big for most needs and it got dangerous hot in there if you didn't watch it. The handful of zippered windows were great to have to cool things down. The stove had a run away fire on night three that got the stove cherry red. I couldn't control the dampers because of all the leaks. I used a welding blanket between the stove and floor and realistically need more protection. Stove pipe alignment was a nightmare because the cheap brand stuff really doesn't fit well together.

Taking down the tent was less than awesome. The tarp I used trapped rain against the floor so rolling the tent meant it was looking in wet. I couldn't roll it tight enough to fit in the bag...I suppose that was fine because I had to dry it out in my house.

Things I would change...buy the Kodiak ground tarp and stove protection, get gasket set for stove, floor liner or more spots to take off boots, improved lighting that isn't propane lanterns, switch to smaller table.

So we spent only 3 nights in the campsite so we only experienced the rain. Had we stayed long we would have gotten a snow test.

After spending most of the day spotting sheep we set up camp just at sunset. I put down a tarp first because there was some small shrubs that were in the way...finding a level campsite big enough is tough. I set up my tent by myself in about 40 minutes because it was dark and the second time I put it together. I'm not a big fan of the nearly 12 guy wires needed to support the tent...lots of trees made for roots to dodge. Everything was dry inside despite the constant rain.

The floor is a blessing and a curse. It's nice to separate indoors and outdoors but it is impossible to keep the junk out. With just me I still tracked in a big mess.

It rained/drizzled for almost 2 days and it was bone dry. The waterproof canvas did a great job.

The stove I chose was purely based on price. I opted for the Camp Chef Alpine. It's too big for most needs and it got dangerous hot in there if you didn't watch it. The handful of zippered windows were great to have to cool things down. The stove had a run away fire on night three that got the stove cherry red. I couldn't control the dampers because of all the leaks. I used a welding blanket between the stove and floor and realistically need more protection. Stove pipe alignment was a nightmare because the cheap brand stuff really doesn't fit well together.

Taking down the tent was less than awesome. The tarp I used trapped rain against the floor so rolling the tent meant it was looking in wet. I couldn't roll it tight enough to fit in the bag...I suppose that was fine because I had to dry it out in my house.

Things I would change...buy the Kodiak ground tarp and stove protection, get gasket set for stove, floor liner or more spots to take off boots, improved lighting that isn't propane lanterns, switch to smaller table.
Get all that crap worked out before spring bear camp in case I need a luxurious place to stay! :LOL: Thanks for the update!

Flipped a 300wsm into a new Kodiak 12x12. Stacking points i had and coupons brought it down to around $600 plus I earned $72 in points for the purchase not a bad deal
How did your Kodiak work out for you? Im looking at buying the 10x10 cabin with the stove combo here in the next few weeks.

How did your Kodiak work out for you? Im looking at buying the 10x10 cabin with the stove combo here in the next few weeks.
So far I've had it up 3 or 4 times and never in "real" weather. I like that mine has big zippered screen windows that lets a lot of air in when temps are warm. I didn't need to go 12x12 because it is usually just me but with the woodstove it does take up a lot of space so if there were a couple other people it will be handy. I don't like the floor because no matter how hard you try you will track in mud and dirt. I have a outdoor carpet to reduce the issue but you need to be on top of cleaning.

A Camp Chef woodstove will cook you out in minutes so the windows are helpful too. I think I'd use a smaller stove or maybe even one of those popular diesel heater units that has a duct and a small fan (just need to figure out energy needs)

I have a 10x10 Kodiak. Stove would only fit if it was just me, or stacked cots. It does great w propane tank top heater which doubles as cooking burner.
95% of the time im alone and usually only hunt the early season. I might not even need the stove. Just a good deal for the whole setup right now.

So far I've had it up 3 or 4 times and never in "real" weather. I like that mine has big zippered screen windows that lets a lot of air in when temps are warm. I didn't need to go 12x12 because it is usually just me but with the woodstove it does take up a lot of space so if there were a couple other people it will be handy. I don't like the floor because no matter how hard you try you will track in mud and dirt. I have a outdoor carpet to reduce the issue but you need to be on top of cleaning.

A Camp Chef woodstove will cook you out in minutes so the windows are helpful too. I think I'd use a smaller stove or maybe even one of those popular diesel heater units that has a duct and a small fan (just need to figure out energy needs)
Thank you for the information. Ill have to bring my battery operated shopvac 🤣. I usually only hunt the early season, so im not too worried about weather, however wyoming can get crazy pretty fast. The stove would be hust an emergency based item. Id bring a heater buddy and jet boil for food. Its going to be a big change going from my 30' toy hauler

Thank you for the information. Ill have to bring my battery operated shopvac 🤣. I usually only hunt the early season, so im not too worried about weather, however wyoming can get crazy pretty fast. The stove would be hust an emergency based item. Id bring a heater buddy and jet boil for food. Its going to be a big change going from my 30' toy hauler
definitely get a heat shield for the stove or cut out the floor around the stove. I used a welding blanket but still managed to get the floor very hot the last time I used the stove so I'm going to have to double down with another heat barrier of some sort. Kodiak makes one for their tents.

definitely get a heat shield for the stove or cut out the floor around the stove. I used a welding blanket but still managed to get the floor very hot the last time I used the stove so I'm going to have to double down with another heat barrier of some sort. Kodiak makes one for their tents.
Outstanding information and much appreciated. Thank you, sir.

Yep same exact thing with mine. Managed to burn the footprint even with a welding blanket (somehow didnt burn the original floor). I'd get the kodiak heat barrier, my dad had one and it worked just fine.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back