• Kings Camo XKG

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • First Lite Guide

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Doodah Bach

I'm looking to update my hunting gear, and I'm wondering what y'all think. I know that the Meateater crew has preached First Lite, but side-by-side comparison (online) the King's Camo XKG and FL's Guide series look and cost about the same. Anyone have any experience with either (or both)?

Never used Kings but I have used several pieces of First Lite. Their base layers are by far my favorite but I’ve traded out of most of the other stuff I had. I am considering trying some of their new Foundry pants, just haven’t bit the bullet yet. For the outer layers you just have to find what works best for your use.

I have some FL and kuiu. Impressed with both, but for the sake of picking one I say FL cause their based out of idaho and I live here. I will also say I have a bunch of other brand stuff that works, but it simply just doesn't compare to my kuiu and FL when it comes to fit and performance.

I have a lot of FL clothing. I was a big fan of the ASAT pattern and since they moved away from it, I have looked at some other brands as well. But, the quality, fit and function of FL is top notch in my book. I met one of the owners a few years ago on a trip up in AK. enjoyed talking with him about the various products and where the company was headed. I still keep a lot of FL items in my bag for anything from base layers to rain jackets.

The best thing to do would be to figure out what styles/types of clothing you are specifically needing, then purchasing that style of item on sale from any number of manufacturers.
Of course, make sure that product has good reviews.

Watch camo fire and online forums for deals

So I have Kings Gaiters and really like them.
I was going to buy First Lite Merino Base but ended up with BlackOvis for half the cost.
I like First Lite but like others - don't think you have to stick with one thing. I have Stone Glacier, Kuiu, BlackOvis.
I am really interested in Fjallraven - they are carried at Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage AND I had a former Montana Elk Guide tell me they are the best hunting pant he has ever had in the back country. There is also a ton of great clothing that isn't 'hunting' but outdoor like Mountain Hardware for jackets, etc. Outdoor Research Cirque pants are very similar to alot of hunting pants. Just my $.02.

i have a pair of XKG pants that I got for Christmas. So far I love them no idea on how long they will hold up

Don’t pigeon hole yourself into one brand. Forget the camo unless you think you really need it and don’t be afraid to branch out into mountaineering brands. They’ve been doing this technical clothing thing a lot longer than the hunting companies...
This.^^
IMO, First light makes the best base layers and I like Sitka outerwear. Black ovis merino is pretty good but not as durable as First Lite in my experience. I have no Kuiu gear so can't comment on that. I also stopped chasing camo patterns years ago and buy mostly solid, earth tones now.

I agree with Fire_9, but as far as comparison I think FL is probably better quality over all so if you're finding them at similar prices I'd lean towards FL. I have some xkg stuff and I like it, but at sale prices, full price seems a bit steep for a lot of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back