MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Kid is keeping me busy...

WYelker

So my son is age 12 and loves being out and about. He is super into fishing, in fact I would bet a steak dinner that as I type this he is either watching a you tube fishing video, playing a fishing game, or sorting fishing gear... This summer we have already had some pretty awesome outings(caught over 80 trout in 3 hours on one)... Lot of rainbows, but this weekend we hit up a WY lake for Cats and both caught master angler cats while fighting the wind and rain... He has caught his first trout on a fly, caught a couple new species... This past weekend we caught cats and sauger... He has a Master Angler Perch, Rainbow and now a Channel cat... We will try for crappie next, tiger trout, and brook trout are on our list this summer...

His cat was 30" and 7 pounds 8oz. Mine was just over 33" and 9 pounds. We caught several eaters, but let them back as we already have a little pile of catfish in the freezer...

Attachments

• Will Cat.jpg
    Will Cat.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Dad Cat.jpg
    Dad Cat.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Love cat fishing but around here there aren't a lot of them. Love crappie too and they are quite a ways off too, 70mi one way! Not really sure which I like best for eating, one time it's crappie and next its cats. Go figure!

My cat spot is on the John Day river and biggest I got so far was 26" and 6.5 pounds. Had a kid from town with me that time that can't stand sitting around waiting on cats so he runs up and down the river looking for small mouth bass. He came back while I was reeling in the biggest of mine and wanted to finish reeling it in so I let him. got back to town and he told everyone he caught it! Does that every time he see's me with a cat on!

This is him!

He wasn't with me for these two!

Need some puppy's in here!

Love cat fishing but around here there aren't a lot of them. Love crappie too and they are quite a ways off too, 70mi one way! Not really sure which I like best for eating, one time it's crappie and next its cats. Go figure!

My cat spot is on the John Day river and biggest I got so far was 26" and 6.5 pounds. Had a kid from town with me that time that can't stand sitting around waiting on cats so he runs up and down the river looking for small mouth bass. He came back while I was reeling in the biggest of mine and wanted to finish reeling it in so I let him. got back to town and he told everyone he caught it! Does that every time he see's me with a cat on!

This is him!

He wasn't with me for these two!

Need some puppy's in here!
HAHA. My son and I compete a lot. For years I smoked him on purpose just to make him try harder and get used to defeat. Recently I find myself letting up a little but still dont let him win very often...

Last winter we were fishing tip ups. On a local lake we get 6 each. Some how he ended up counting the fish off all the tip ups as ones he caught even if they were on my tip up. He had a blast running all those line in a great bite.

For me: Walleye/Sauger first, then Yellow Perch, Then Catfish, Then Crappie...

So my son is age 12 and loves being out and about. He is super into fishing, in fact I would bet a steak dinner that as I type this he is either watching a you tube fishing video, playing a fishing game, or sorting fishing gear... This summer we have already had some pretty awesome outings(caught over 80 trout in 3 hours on one)... Lot of rainbows, but this weekend we hit up a WY lake for Cats and both caught master angler cats while fighting the wind and rain... He has caught his first trout on a fly, caught a couple new species... This past weekend we caught cats and sauger... He has a Master Angler Perch, Rainbow and now a Channel cat... We will try for crappie next, tiger trout, and brook trout are on our list this summer...

His cat was 30" and 7 pounds 8oz. Mine was just over 33" and 9 pounds. We caught several eaters, but let them back as we already have a little pile of catfish in the freezer...
Congrats! That's the best thing for youngsters spending time with their old man.

What's a master angler fish?

What's a master angler fish?
In the state of WY they have a list of
Fish species that a person can fish for and if you catch a trophy size fish for that species it is a master angler fish… when you catch a qualifying fish species, you take a photo that represents the size (not really prove it) but the size and species, then send it in with a picture and your name. Then for every fish species you get a sticker for that species, at 5 different species you get a trophy angler award. When you catch 10 species you get a ultimate angler…

It is cool because it is a check list for fishing and it challenges you to sort through and find big fish.

My son just achieved the Ultimate Angler. He has qualified a Rainbow, Perch, Catfish, Cut Throat, and Crappie… He has been close with Walleye and Sauger… He wants to achieve the 10 species by end of this year…

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back