Kentucky Elk

when random draw odds get beyond 1/100, its really almost impossible to do any sort of preference. From the state perspective, the loss of income is huge because so many people that were applying every year will opt out if they miss a year. Just depends I guess how many are in the random draw. For tough to draw units, lots of people still apply in AZ because its 80% random (granted with a bonus system). A lot less people look to WY where its only 20% but pure same odds for everyone.

With such a low number of tags given out a think a point system would be a mistake on the game departments behalf. I think many will drop out because it's basically lotto odds anyway. I know I would have to take a serious look as to whether it would be worth the cost of applying. The way it is now people don't mind throwing away a 20 to enter.

Congratulations on the tag draw! We put in every year since we live about an hour from both the TN and KY Elk Hunting Zones (EHZ's). We really enjoy our time in the Cumberland Mountain range and speed lots of time tracking and looking at the Elk. I wish you the best of luck during the season. The elk are typically vocal, but not overly vocal during the rut and do not act like their western counterparts. They are much closer to whitetail activity than Rocky Mountain Elk.

I haven't heard the details, but I would hope it will only be a small preference pool, similar to the 10% limit on nonresident tags, or at worse something akin to Wyoming's system. We just don't have the elk population to enable a points system to be feasible. There's a commission meeting this morning that might reveal more.
I surely hope that KY does not pass the preference point system initiative. It will make it much it near impossible to draw an elk tag out east. This is one of the last vestiges of the NM style draw system and I hope it stays random. I like making a donation every year to KY F&G. There is always that .01% chance to draw.

Buddy of mine had a tag last year and went guided... he didn't kill one, and only 1 of like 6 other hunters killed. They were hunting one of the better areas. I've heard the hunting has gone down hill the last couple years as well? Be a neat hunt either way. Good luck on your hunt!

Buddy of mine had a tag last year and went guided... he didn't kill one, and only 1 of like 6 other hunters killed. They were hunting one of the better areas. I've heard the hunting has gone down hill the last couple years as well? Be a neat hunt either way. Good luck on your hunt!
I've been kind of wondering because the tag numbers have also dropped quite a bit. Maybe over harvesting?

In doing some research when I drew it seemed a couple of the better spots in the past had been drawn down due to limited social tolerance for the elk in some areas. Been a couple years, but thought I heard that those were the elk sent to other states or locations to start herds.

Unlike Steve I would take the first legal elk that you are happy with. I shot my five by five in Colorado after 6 years of hunting and I still love looking at him.
Awesome! A buddy and I are planning a DIY backcountry trip for CO in 2022 or 2023. A kill would just be icing on the cake on these hunts. Congratulations, hopefully Ill have one on the wall in the next 5 years!

I live in East Kentucky and the elk numbers are way down. Wish u good luck with your hunt. Post some pics and hope you have a great story to tell.

Just got back from Kentucky. From what I understand I was lucky in the fact that I saw a lot of elk. I was 29.8 yards from a 7x6 for 5 minutes and never had a good shot. I was able to harvest a nice 3x3 as my first elk. Super excited and most importantly made life long friends and will always remember this experience.

Attachments

• F4F5A1E6-17DE-4B87-BAE7-F30D358B1BBB.jpeg
    F4F5A1E6-17DE-4B87-BAE7-F30D358B1BBB.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 54
Hey everyone,

I was lucky enough to draw a non-resident Kentucky either sex archery tag for the 2020 season. I have a few questions I am hoping to gain some perspective on here. First off I have never hunted elk and I live in Illinois and mainly target whitetails and waterfowl. With that being said here are my questions:

is anyone on this platform ever done this hunt? If so is there one unit better than the other? Would you recommend using an outfitter/guide or doing a DIY hunt? I will have a full week and little time to scout And since I have little elk experience I lean towards a guide but wanted to see what others thought. Lastly if anyone has used a guide I would appreciate any references you may have.

thanks!
Congratulations! I'm 0 for 6 years running. 0 for 11 for each entry. It is beautiful country!

Just got back from Kentucky. From what I understand I was lucky in the fact that I saw a lot of elk. I was 29.8 yards from a 7x6 for 5 minutes and never had a good shot. I was able to harvest a nice 3x3 as my first elk. Super excited and most importantly made life long friends and will always remember this experience.
Great hunt!

That is a cool looking young bull, congrats!

Congratulations!!!! What a rush, man. And I’m just going to say it for context, your awesome 3x3 is far better than my None x Never.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back