Kentucky elk hunt on public land

I couldn't make it back down there this weekend. We had 14 in-laws staying at our house all weekend and if I left my wife with our baby there, she'd have probably been gone when I got home too! Needless to say, I was not into conversation, when all I could think about was hunting. This is the last week of archery only, then 2 weeks of rifle and then I can go back down on the 15th of October. Hopefully, they'll still be somewhat rutty and not completely blown out of there by the rifle tag holders.

When you go back, they should still be tossing out a bugle now and then. Being assigned to the LEA, you are able to hunt animals that see much less pressure than the At-Large areas. The gun hunters assigned to that unit will tag out pretty quickly for the most part and I don't think they'll bust the elk completely out of the area. At least that's not been my experience in the past. From the sounds of things, you enjoyed more action than many hunting the At-Large tag the last couple weeks.

Ya we had an awesome time! I mean all except the ending, (my wife reminds me every day that we could use the meat another year). The hardest part is knowing I had my chance and blew it. Now come to find out I shouldn't have posted anything on here at all. Evidently there's "commissioners tags" that are good for anywhere any season and any weapon. They have guides out scouring my LEA now trying to find Bulls, because they heard there's a big one in there. I shot myself in the foot by trying to get advice and tell a story on here it sounds like. And I don't have $6000 to pay a guy to watch an elk for me until I can get back there like the commissioners tag holders can

Not that I'm frustrated by it or anything lol. I know tags like that are good for conservation, but dang

Last year they were still rutting pretty hard in the middle of October. they were not however responding to calls at all. they definitely didn't want to leave their cows. best bet is find them put them to bed and setup for the evening ambush. in the middle of the day find the closest water hole to sit on mid day. man I got close last year several times on the evening ambush plan. Goodluck man!

Evidently there's "commissioners tags" that are good for anywhere any season and any weapon. They have guides out scouring my LEA now trying to find Bulls, because they heard there's a big one in there. I shot myself in the foot by trying to get advice and tell a story on here it sounds like.

Never give info on the net, it has ruined many a hunting area. I surprised at the number of people that learn this the hard way.

Never give info on the net, it has ruined many a hunting area. I surprised at the number of people that learn this the hard way.

I should have known better. You are right, looking back it was really naive to think otherwise. Doesn't make it any less annoying though right?

Last year they were still rutting pretty hard in the middle of October. they were not however responding to calls at all. they definitely didn't want to leave their cows. best bet is find them put them to bed and setup for the evening ambush. in the middle of the day find the closest water hole to sit on mid day. man I got close last year several times on the evening ambush plan. Goodluck man!

Did you think they watered more down in the deep dark ravines, or more in the man made water holes on the reclaimed areas?

They definitely hit the deep bottoms. I never saw any go to water on top on the reclaimed stuff. And those governors tags are some b.s. And the guides operating in KY are some characters too.

Ya you really can't beat these success rates. My tag is good until January too, so hopefully I can catch up with that bull before then. I'd really like to get another crack at him. Spikes should probably be quivering in their boots though too...lol

I don't know if you've seen any of the elk coming in from rifle season yet, but good night Irene they are dropping some absolutely large bulls. One of the commissioners tag holders shot his 35th bull in 45 years of elk hunting and it is gonna be well over 350 if I had to guess. The mass is incredible on these bulls. I really really can't wait another week and a half to get back down there. I've been scouring google and thinking over what I saw when I was down there hiking around trying to find some secluded water holes to sit on. A lot of them seem to be damned up streams. It'll be interesting to see how many cow archery hunters I run into as well. Thanks again for the info.

Ya that's the one. 35th bull in 45 years. And a dandy at that. LMO has a few hunters that have tagged some really big ones too so far this week. Same forum, different thread

Yea the opening day of rifle they had at least 5 or 6 great bulls, maybe more. It seems like every year they get the job done. Can't wait to get down there tomorrow.

Best of Luck to you! I also drew a Bull tag for the same area, but will be hunting the first week of rifle season. I live in Louisville and have made one trip, but I'm going to make another soon.
Sounds like we have a lot of Bulls in our area.
This is my first ever Elk hunt and I I'm pumped!

How did your week go so far?

SUCCESS! My buddy and I made a bonsai trip down over the past weekend with intentions of shooting any legal bull. We were in them immediately at sunup. Post rut- herded up group of 5 cows and about 6 bulls/spikes. Long story short we stalked 3 other bulls before noon, all in shooting range, but the first two had some sort of tree or bush in the shooting lanes. Less than 50 yards on each. The third stalk, we snuck into a bedding area, they spooked, we cow called, and this rag horn just couldn't handle walking away without seeing what was going on. I just never let up on the Phelps EZ estrus, and he lost interest. Then my buddy, 20 yards down hill, lets out 3 calls on the ole Hoochie Mama, the bull turned and walked to 20' and I got a perfect double lung broadside shot. He's broke on one side, and not very big, but I did not care. We came to Kentucky for the experience, and Saturday we got the experience of our lives. Not to mention, the meat is going to be fantastic, and my wife's making broth out of the bones to give to our son for his first non-milk food. Thanks to everyone for their help, they were definitely in the acorns and the dark north facing slopes.

elk 2016.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back