Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kansas turkey help

lakedelavan

Hello everyone I was looking for a little turkey help I am stationed here in Kansas and looking to shoot my first rio. I know there is plenty of wiha land available but with limited time to travel I was wondering what I should look for with wiha land and some general counties to start looking any info would be greatly appreciated and if anyone needs help with some public land mule deer hunts in Kansas I was successful and know some spots.

I hunt some friend's property in Hill City and the turkey hunting is pretty good. Any of the small creeks you will find them it seems. There is a large piece of public there but I haven't looked into it yet. Could try asking farmers when every I deer hunt a lot of them complain about deer and turkeys eating their crops.

East of Salina you may not find Rios...you will find turkeys, but wouldn't necessarily count on them being Rios...hybrids and easterns in a lot of that country.

Here’s a good one:

I have read that in general any turkey taken in the first three rows of eastern counties are eastern subspecies of turkeys and originate from Missouri as they expanded westward. The Rio‘s were originally transplanted (Texas IIRC) and the very first plants were in Butler county along the riverine woods. There was one transplant west of Hutchinson of Easterns, so some maps show a widening circle of hybrids in the central part of Kansas.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back