Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Just in from Sportmans' Alliance - Comment period open on proposed WDFW "hunting contest" ban.

44hunter45

I actually support this ban. But i'm not in the camp of "never give an inch" and more in the "quit making hunting look bad to the casual observer" camp.

Last edited:
I've never heard of any hunting contests before I read this, won't affect my hunting. On one hand I can see the argument that it's within hunting regs, no bag limit, fishing contests are acceptable, etc., but on the other hand I do agree with neffa3 that it sounds and looks bad to many non-hunters.

Hunting "contests" always sounded weird to me, I guess the coyote roundup events are the only ones i've heard of. Just seems like a great way to give hunting another black eye if media got enough coverage. Honestly with the lower runs of fish now days im not a huge fan of fishing derbies either. I know its great for small towns as the masses flock to the areas but seems like a lot of extra pressure on already strained stocks.

I actually support this ban. But i'm not in the camp of "never give an inch" and more in the "quit making hunting look bad to the casual observer" camp.
I bounced this out here, well, because. The last coyote derby I knew of in Idaho quietly died about ten years ago. It was a LEO only event with no prizes.

I guess there are still contests in Washington since this comment period is thing.

I'm in the camp that if folk want to get together and do it that's one thing, but awarding prizes for most or biggest kills seems too much like market hunting.

I'm still stuck on the image of @neffa3 going Jason Bourne on that Rockchuck with an air pistol.

Last hunting contest in my area was a coyote derby. A guy or two brought in coyotes they had killed and frozen previous to the contest. I don't think there was ever another one.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back