PEAX Equipment

July 2019 ammo restrictions

brnsvllyjohn

I haven't seen anything on this forum for some time discussing the new ammo rules for California. From what I understand as of July 2019 we cannot buy ammo in this state unless we have a gun registered in that specific caliber. Others say no you only need to do a background check that will allow you to buy ammo for any gun. I guess we will see in a couple of weeks. We have not been allowed to order ammo for more than a year from an out of state supplier. You cannot purchase ammo on your out of state hunt and bring it back home. I hope those of you that are like me and have not purchased your guns in the last 5 years are ready for this.

From what I understand if you’ve purchased a gun within the last 5 yrs you will be able to buy ammo for it with only a $1-$5 background check, if you’re buying ammunition for a gun you haven’t purchased in the last 5 years then it’s a $19-$25 background check.....either way 🤬 this state

So do the same rules apply to bullets and other components for reloading? What a circus. I am guessing that the gangs have already organized a supply chain to the nearest Nevada gun shop for their illegal activities. I can hear the Ag department employees on the state line now. "Welcome to California. Are you transporting any fruits, vegetables, rifle/handgun cartridges or shotgun shells?

Last edited:
15-20 years from now this will be “common sense gun laws” all over America. what’s that saying again, so goes California so goes the rest of the country.

You can’t even make this stuff up.

You cannot purchase ammo on your out of state hunt and bring it back home. I hope those of you that are like me and have not purchased your guns in the last 5 years are ready for this.

Any idea how this is enforced? I'm curious to hear what someones experience was like crossing the boarder with an elk from out of state?

According to this site there is no restriction to calibers you own, and they law doesn't apply to components.

https://www.laxammooc.com/california-ammo-laws-for-2019/

Some interesting caveats...

1. Non-residents cannont buy ammo in California, so if you decide to hunt there bring your ammo with you.
2. Non-residents can bring in firearms and ammo without restrictions

Dealing with out of state hunting for Residents
1. You can't bring ammo you purchased in another state, the law doesn't mention buying ammo in CA leaving, and then returning with said ammo
2. You can ship unused ammo home and pick it up from your dealer
3. You can claim the ammo was purchased out of state and given to you by a family member

The text for this law
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/..._id=201920200AB425&search_keywords=ammunition

Last edited:
15-20 years from now this will be “common sense gun laws” all over America. what’s that saying again, so goes California so goes the rest of the country.

You can’t even make this stuff up.

15 to 20 years from now a lot of us will still be just fine.

Any idea how this is enforced? I'm curious to hear what someones experience was like crossing the boarder with an elk from out of state?

When crossing the border after a hunting trip I have had a variety of experiences. We are required to fill out a form that lists all game animals we are importing. I typically fill it out in camp with 3 copies. Remember carbon paper?? Once you get to the border you never know what to expect. I have had some at the border just take my form and say thanks. I have had others make me pull over and go inside to talk to the people behind a desk. The people inside will sometimes want to see the animal but usually not. They just want to make sure I have a copy for them, one to mail in and one to keep with the animal once I get home. I don't think most hunters have 3 copies ready, I always do.
As far as asking me what I am importing it is usually only questions about fruit or firewood. I have to volunteer the fact I have game animals. The law states no spinal cord or brain matter but I have never been asked about the CWD issues. I know some guys ignore those requirements because they don't like cleaning the skull in camp. If they don't enforce the CWD requirements do you think they are going to check my truck for shells? I always process my animals in camp to eliminate all spinal cord and brain tissue and I will not import ammo but if I did who would check me? No one knows who will check you.

I have been saving all of my receipts for ammo purchases for a couple of years and I plan on taking those receipts with me to prove my ammo was purchased legally in California in case they ask about it at the border.

When crossing the border after a hunting trip I have had a variety of experiences. We are required to fill out a form that lists all game animals we are importing. I typically fill it out in camp with 3 copies. Remember carbon paper?? Once you get to the border you never know what to expect. I have had some at the border just take my form and say thanks. I have had others make me pull over and go inside to talk to the people behind a desk. The people inside will sometimes want to see the animal but usually not. They just want to make sure I have a copy for them, one to mail in and one to keep with the animal once I get home. I don't think most hunters have 3 copies ready, I always do.
As far as asking me what I am importing it is usually only questions about fruit or firewood. I have to volunteer the fact I have game animals. The law states no spinal cord or brain matter but I have never been asked about the CWD issues. I know some guys ignore those requirements because they don't like cleaning the skull in camp. If they don't enforce the CWD requirements do you think they are going to check my truck for shells? I always process my animals in camp to eliminate all spinal cord and brain tissue and I will not import ammo but if I did who would check me? No one knows who will check you.

I have been saving all of my receipts for ammo purchases for a couple of years and I plan on taking those receipts with me to prove my ammo was purchased legally in California in case they ask about it at the border.

It doesn’t matter that you purchased the ammunition legally or otherwise, they want you to ship your ammunition to an FFL and pick it up from them so they can get their money...this is what they see as “common sense gun laws”

Now I have never been to California nor do I plan to really but... Am I to assume from the post above that crossing the border into your state from the neighboring states that I would go through a check point of sort like when I cross the US border into Canada ?

Now I have never been to California nor do I plan to really but... Am I to assume from the post above that crossing the border into your state from the neighboring states that I would go through a check point of sort like when I cross the US border into Canada ?

There are in couple of inspection stations on major crossings like 80 and 50, but the reason I asked my question was that I've driven in and out of CA over a dozen times and never had to stop or talk to anyone.

They are called agricultural inspection stations. They are supposed to prevent people from bringing in unwanted plants or animals that might have a decease or pest that could be harmful to the Ca agricultural industry. In the real world the percentage of cars stopped is low. The state requires you to fill out an import form for any game animals and turn a copy in at the border crossings. The border crossing are not always open and it seems to me that during really heavy traffic they just wave everyone through. Traveling in a pickup and towing an RV I get stopped more than the average vehicle but there are still times I get waved on. I guess the legislature thinks that these border check stations will keep people from bringing in items like ammo purchased in another state. Like I stated earlier if they don't even ask about the CWD issues when they know I have a deer with me are they going to start asking about ammo??? They may ask people like me who stop to turn in the form since obviously I have been hunting out of state. Who knows I might have purchased a box of ammo somewhere. Talking to the general public at the local shooting range they don't think enough cars will be checked to change anyone's mind who might drive to Nevada to buy ammo and bring it home. Most of my hunting buddies load anyway so they don't see a big change for them.

So do the same rules apply to bullets and other components for reloading? What a circus. I am guessing that the gangs have already organized a supply chain to the nearest Nevada gun shop for their illegal activities. I can hear the Ag department employees on the state line now. "Welcome to California. Are you transporting any fruits, vegetables, rifle/handgun cartridges or shotgun shells?

This was my first thought, can you reload?

Any information on this? Good grief I'm glad I don't live there.

There are currently no restrictions on loading components. Don't give them any ideas.

I am sure somewhere there is an elected official that is trying to figure out if they should limit the primers or the powder.

Back