Jig Dance

Big Sky

With this unusually early/warm spring the ice is disappearing fast around here. I actually found enough open water yesterday to dance a marabou jig through some open holes. I absolutely love fishing these jigs that I get from Kit's Tackle out of Helena. The fish seem to love them even more than I do. ;) One of the things that is really cool though is all trout seems to like to hit them as is evidence by the variety of fish on this quick little outing after work last night. I was fortunate to land about a dozen trout in two hours and missed about that many strikes as well. I love it when the fish are active and feeding like that!

First up to bat was a beautifully marked rainbow.
Troy%20Adams%20Belt%20Cr%202-25-16B_zpsiiaze7yj.jpg

Next up a couple of browns. I was surprised at how much these two browns looked alike even though they were caught about a 1/4 mile apart.
Troy%20Adams%20Belt%20Cr%202-25-16D_zpshsw6hr23.jpg

The only thing bothering me a little is how skinny all the fish were. Hopefully with the warmer temps the bug hatches will start and fatten these snake skinny fish up a little.
Troy%20Adams%20Belt%20Cr%202-25-16C_zpstvbnsb8p.jpg

Last but not least was this super fun surprise. Prior to last night I had only caught 2 brooke trout out of this particular creek. Needless to say catching one is a rare occurrence. The photo doesn't do this fish justice, but he is one of, if not the biggest brooke trout, I've ever caught out of a creek. I had just caught a brown trout right before him that I measure at 15". This brookie was a little longer. I meant to measure him, but I got so caught up in trying to take a quick photo and get him back in the water, that I forgot to put a tape measure on him. Oh well, maybe I will catch him again someday and he might be even bigger. ;)
Troy%20Adams%20Brooke%20Belt%20Cr%202-25-16B_zpsvtiepsqq.jpg

The fishing bug has taken hold. Good times.

Great thread. I picked up some Kit jigs and can't wait to try them out.
How do you fish them in shallow streams? What weight jig do you use? Do you hang up on the bottom?

I'm running 1/8th oz jigs. I try to keep them off the bottom so they don't hang up. A guy could get away with using 1/16th oz jigs in really tiny creeks. I don't think Kit's makes any 1/16th oz jigs, but they could probably be talked into it.

Back