It's up to the boys to fill the freezer!

JohnSWA

Senior Thread Mover
Hi folks!
Guess I should've done the cc thing, huh? Anyway, My 17 year old boy and 15 year old stepson got antlerless elk tags in 6A/6B. It should be a slam dunk since it's Oct 20-26th. Hard to tell though. I've not had a problem in the later months when the bulls are scattered and the cows are plentiful, but this may prove to be a challenge! I mean, there's only another 763 tagged hunters out there! OMG! This is going to be a zoo! I'm sure it's going to be a good time either way. If anybody else has a youth tag in the area, let's hook up! No, I'm not escouting, It's just fun to have another freaked out father in the shooting gallery to BS with.

Good luck to all and I hope you drew your dream tag.

PS, I didn't walk away with nothing. I at least got my turkey tag in 4A/B! Scene them in both places, but I'm not quite sure how to hunt them in the fall. I've only hunted once in the spring in NM. I've heard that they don't react to calls in the fall, is this correct? Anyway, I'm glad the wait is over!

Cheers!

danr55 said:
John, You want to borrow some Kevlar? Good luck to you and your boys..

:cool:

Kevlar...now that's an idea! LOL! I'll probably need it since it's a tag in the war zone! 765 youth tags! It'll be great if we score a couple of cows, but even better if we make it out alive!!!:eek:

I have worked several Unit Watches up there during the youth hunt and the area is big enough that you aren't walking on top of each other. Definitely pack along some blaze orange and if they have the Unit Watch camp this year make sure you & your boys stop by. They raffle off stuff on Sat nite to the kids and usually provide burgers/dogs meal. I heard the RMEF wasn't sponsoring it this year but the Az Elk Society was going to. If it is going all tag holders will get a flier & map in the mail a couple weeks before the hunt.

I believe a unit watch camp is a group of volunteers that pretty much police the unit. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's my understanding.

There are a couple of different type Unit Watch camps. Some set up as Operation Game Thief camps where they look for poaching, violations, etc. The youth camps I go to we help people out. I have helped put kids on game, tracked, field dressed, help load, that type of stuff. While there is usually a couple of G&F officers around or onsite for the most part it is volunteers helping out kids and their parents on their hunts with advice, maps or sweat if necessary.

Thanks, Fred!

Damn right he's carrying his own gear this year! LOL! It must have been hysterical watching me hustling with all my gear and his with him lagging behind!

Good luck on your bull hunt!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back