It’s Sausage Time

JTHOMP

Finally set up with a grinder, stuffer, and electric smoker. My ol lady isn’t into hunting, but enjoys processing meat. And it’s been good help my brother put food up for his family as they eat a lot of ground me. With the amount of pigs we have trapped and I’ve killed on public there hasn’t been any meat shortages. We’ve also been fortunate to get a few deer.

I may sound like the kid in the school that eats glue but for years I’ve always thought how dry deer meat is and how fatty coon is that it might make a good sausage blend. Finally started put that to the test. Not wanting to ruin deer meat (more respect for it than pigs) I first experiment with pigs.

Made 20lbs of smoked sausage. The season blend came from a local meat market in SW Louisiana. A friend in the area was kind enough to buy and mail 50lbs worth of seasoning to me. Of the 20lbs 10 was straight wild pig and 10 was 1/2 pig and 1/2 coon. The pig was killed days prior in the Atchafalaya Basin. No access to ag and lived completely on natural forage. I wanted a baseline taste on what a woods pig tasted like. Two big deboned coons made 5lbs of meat for mix.

As expected the pig was dry, but still had a good flavor. Surprisingly the coon mix was almost equally dry. First batch of sausage was ready for Christmas Day with Ashley and my family at our house. All the sausage we used was the coon mix. I made a deer and pig gravy and added sausage. She made a pig in the blanket pie thingy with a center cheese dip. Everyone enjoyed it and I put a few people’s mind at ease about eating coon meat.
F960214C-7E6A-42E2-AB52-25052F176130.jpeg

E1EBAE2E-D6EC-4F59-BE5A-DBC924DE365D.jpeg

Yesterday made 45lbs of sausage.
Did 20lbs of straight wild pig again. This wild pig was one we had trapped in the summer with a lot of fat reserves. 10lbs was put and casing for smoke and 10lbs were made for breakfast sausage. Breakfast blend was from the packets at Academy. I replaced two table spoons of that blend with Cajun seasoning for a little kick.

55E7283A-9039-4DDC-8FAC-5A233A025B7A.jpeg

20lbs was made with half deer and half pig. The pig was IMO an F1 cross between wild a domestic. Look like pork you get from the store so should work out great.

Also did 5lbs of straight coon sausage as another experiment.

About to start the smoker for the second batch. I think the limiting factor in this process is getting a good smoke with the electric smoker. If anyone does their sausage like this suggestions would be appreciated.

3CA8D921-6CBA-46EA-A650-8F4EA94DCBC3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back