Ithaca Model 37, 1941 serial number, not functioning well

fmnjr

So I've had this 16 gauge given to me by my Dad years ago sitting in my gun case and decided to start shooting it yesterday. The first day shooting skeet it locked up pretty bad coz it I didn't think about lubing it before taking it out. A guy at the range had some lube to put on it and it seemed to work ok after that. In total, we spent 2 days shooting skeet and put about 175 rounds through it. Today, the 2nd day, much of the time, if I tried to do anything but singles with it, the extractor would fail and a jamb would happen. If I did only singles, it worked, but towards the end of the day it was just really rough and felt like it was going to lock up at any time even if only singles were put through it. Looking for ideas/suggestions on what to do with it at this point. Anyone have experience with this model?

Can you explain a little more? When you say singles you were loading one shell at a time? None in the magazine?

Probably a really good cleaning, including a chamber brush would be where to start.

Right none in the mag. I’m thinking the same about cleaning it real good so tomorrow I’ll break it down and do so.

Are you confusing extractor and ejector? The extractor should pull the spent hull out regardless of whether there is a live one in the magazine. Check your ejector to see if it’s worn or broken.

Are you confusing extractor and ejector? The extractor should pull the spent hull out regardless of whether there is a live one in the magazine. Check your ejector to see if it’s worn or broken.
There are a number of extractor parts listed and I'm not sure yet which is which. Pretty sure the ejector is not part of the problem.
Here's the parts list/schematic for the gun:
Ithaca Model 37 Parts List.PNG

Try a good cleaning and lube. If that doesn't work, I would try replacing the springs.

Today the gun was broken down, parts soaked in wipe out, was closely examined and put back together. When shooting it yesterday I noticed it was really, really tight. What I didn't realize was there was metal-on-metal occurring, which is show in a following photo. Got that cleared up, not sure about the extraction issue until we start shooting it again.

Here it is broken down where 80 years of crud can be seen:

IMG_0948.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG

When breaking it down I noticed metal-on-metal action, which explained why it was acting so stiff:

IMG_0963.JPG

Took a rat tail file to it coz the burr that was created was pretty large:

IMG_0968.JPG

The parts bucket:

IMG_0967.JPG

Can anyone relate, after cleaning, oil and greas it was ready to be put back together:

IMG_0965.JPG

Final assembly went well, the gun did the snick-snick thing really smoothly when working the action/dry-firing it. Looking forward to taking out and putting some rounds through it.

Great shotgun, hope it fixed your issue . Easy to put a left hand safety on those guns if needed.
I really like to bottom ejection they have.

Got the gun back out today and....it wouldn't fire. Strange, coz it feels like the firing pin is working but the shells don't fire nor is there any pin mark on them. Nothing was done to the bolt, where the firing pin is located of course. Reassembled it as it should have been, the pump/action work smoothly. Trigger pulls fine and ejects unfired shells, too.

Maybe some gunk got in there during the cleaning process. Try cleaning it a bit more.

Pretty sure it's not that. I've had the gun apart a number of times now and all sub-assemblies seem to be in working order. When the barrel is off, one can observe the fire pin in the breech block not moving at all when the trigger is pulled and the hammer is released, which indicates it somehow not coming into contact with the pin face. Really is puzzling coz the trigger group is pretty simple so there's no obvious reason why this should be happening. This is going to be one of those cases, when I finally find out what is happening, I'll probably be embarrassed it's such a simple fix.

Well....it has turned out to be embarrassing, but I have to fess up, it was the split yoke behind the mag cap. When I put it back together I didn't pay close enough attention to where the yoke was mounted and it was back from where it should have been just enough to stop the slide from extending completely and locking. Works perfectly now that the yoke was moved forward. Lesson learned. :( Can't wait to get it out and shoot it again.

I was wondering if your bolt wasn’t locking up all the way.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back