Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is this silly?

perma

I can comfortably load a muzzleloader but am intimidated on reloading bullets.

I keep seeing YT videos on reloading and it's catching my interest, but IDK that I have the confidence in loading reliable bullets. I wouldn't mind the cost startup of the equipment, but I also considered that into account.

How did you get into reloading?

I decided to have a better load for skeet.

And it went downhill, so to speak, from there.

Reloading at even a very basic level yields better than factory ammo. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. Utilize people on this forum or online. There's tons of great info available online!

I was tired of spending $60 on a box of ammo... So in 2020 I bought everything to start reloading. It's fun to do, and it's better than buying really expensive ammo.

Edit: I'm definitely not saving money, because I don't care to save money... This is written off in my head as a hobby at this point!

Last edited:
It is really difficult to get enough powder into a rifle case to do serious damage to yourself (unless you are using an incorrect powder). Handgun cartridges are a little different story. Pretty easy for some of those to accommodate a double charge.

I got into reloading because I wanted to eek out every last bit of accuracy from my rifles and because it hurt my heart to pay retail prices for 10mm handgun ammunition. Now, I'm getting it weird, esoteric cartridges that no commercial manufacturer has loaded in years. Feel free to hit me up if you're down my way and I'd be happy to show you my reloading setup.

I should also add-- the only kaboom I've had in 30ish years of shooting centerfire ammunition was a factory loaded handgun cartridge.

Reloading at even a very basic level yields better than factory ammo.
Based on what? I see this comment a lot too which entices me but the only data that can support this is better groups, right? It's not like you can add more powder (I think). I was always told factory ammo is as hot as the load can get. Maybe I'm assuming too much with my question too, but what difference would it make with me buying accubond bullets compared to factory noslers?

The tolerances most people hold themselves to are significantly tighter than factory tolerances. They're making 100,000s of rounds a day, when doing it by hand you're kicking out a much higher quality round.

You can also make any adjustments to find exactly what your rifle likes. You can find more consistent loads and more accurate loads when compared to factory ammo. Your loads can be tweaked ever so slightly in any manner to give your rifle exactly what it likes!

Based on what? I see this comment a lot too which entices me but the only data that can support this is better groups, right? It's not like you can add more powder (I think). I was always told factory ammo is as hot as the load can get. Maybe I'm assuming too much with my question too, but what difference would it make with me buying accubond bullets compared to factory noslers?
If I could answer for RJ-- handloading allows you to better tailor the load for your individual weapon. Some 6.5 Creedmoors might like 41.5 grains of H4350 under a 140 grain Hornady SST. Others might shoot significantly better with 40.0 grains. Some others might prefer StaBall 6.5 or Varget powders. Handloading also allows you to fine tune for "jump" by adjusting how close the projectile is seated in the case to the lands in the barrel. My Tikka chamber is very long throated-- my 6.5 Creedmoor handloads' COAL is well beyond SAAMI-spec-- and I can get much better accuracy loading long than standard.

Factory ammo for modern cartridges is generally toward the top end of performance but you can get significantly improve performance in older cartridges like the 7mm Mauser, .257 Roberts, .303 British, etc. by hot-rodding them with modern powders and projectiles.

The ugly truth, though, of handloading-- commercial ammo will you get you 90-95% there relative to handloads. The real benefit is (1) it is fun and rewarding (but also mildly infuriating at times); (2) gives me something to do in the off-season and (3) you'll get exponentially more trigger time while working up loads, which will naturally increase your familiarity and comfort with your rifle.

In my limited experience, it's not cheaper to reload your own unless maybe you shoot high volumes of inexpensive stuff. You will find ways to spend money.

Is hand loaded ammo better than factory? Maybe or maybe not, but you will spend more money trying to accomplish that.

One reason to reload is if you want something specific, such as reduced recoil loads for kids. I have a 45-70 that I've never shot factory ammo through, and I intend to continue with that. Maybe you want to kill an elk with the same case two years in a row. Reloading lets you do things your way.

The best reason for reloading, in my mind, is that it's one more way to engage yourself in the pursuit of game. Probably best likened to a fly fisherman sitting at the bench tying flies and dreaming of the big one he will catch with this hare's ear or elk hair caddis. It's another way to play with your toys and be part of the process. (Some people have the time, and some don't. I haven't for the last 3 years.)

QQ

I started loading when I was about 12-13, read a lot of manuals, had an adult friend help me out along the way and haven't bought more than a couple boxes of factory ammo for any rifle in over 30 years.

Reloading isn't hard, and you don't need to spend a stupid amount of time, effort or money on super duper reloading equipment, especially if you're feeding factory rifles with tolerances well below what you could load to, or just loading for "hunting" accuracy at moderate ranges. Just be methodical and consistent. You won't blow yourself up. I'm more scared of muzzleloaders than reloading. :D

Every reloading manual has suggested powder loads that yield the best results for a cartridge/bullet weight combo. I've found them to be quite accurate in many most cases, and there is tons of info on the web for bullet/powder/rifle combinations.

I load over 20 different cartridges currently. I can't say that factory ammo is better or worse, but I don't have much trouble finding loads that shoot well with just a little effort. I just worked up a load for a rifle this fall, I found a bullet powder combo that worked well after shooting 6 five shot test loads. I'm not a match shooter, and don't shoot long range. I practice out to 400, and am comfortable out to 500, but that's about it. I just don't care to shoot farter and will pass shots. My loads are well within MOA of kill zone on animals at the ranges I hunt. I don't weigh cases, turn necks, debur primer pockets, etc, etc.

I FL size, trim, chamfer mouths, clean primer pockets, load and shot. Reloading is like fly fishing, the guys that are really into it think they have the best and you are just wasting your time not doing it their way. I've out fished countless fly fishermen with a $20 Walmart fly rod, a spool of Berkley 10lb test leader, and Chinese flies...

Is it cheaper? Hell yeah it is... way cheaper, even if you amortize the cost of tools. Unless you don't shoot a lot, then maybe it wouldn't be worth the $400 investment to save 50% on ammo. Would be pretty easy trade-off study to figure out. I don't shoot a ton anymore, maybe 200-300 (10-15 boxes) rounds through big game rifles. That would be maybe $6-800 in factory ammo, and cost me maybe $350-400 in reloads? Looks like that's about the break-even point for that $400 investment on reloading equipment. You can go stupid and buy 4 different powders and bullets to try to get something that shoot well. Those bullets that don't shoot well turn into practice bullets, and the powders are used in other rifles... or look up what shoots well in your particular rifle and get a pound of that first and go from there.

Factory ammo for my 375H&H with the same bullets I shoot are $100-120 a box if you can find them (I haven't seen 300gr Partitions on the shelf in 3 years). I load them for less than $40/box because I have a small stockpile of bullets there were bought at half the price of current MSRP. I can load pretty much everything I shoot for $20-40/box or $1-$2/round. Some (223) are even less.

Its really not that hard of hobby to get into, and you can make it as hard or easy as you want. Go for it!

Your local library will have books on hand loading. There will be more available at other branches. You can have those put on hold and delivered. Read a few manuals and you'll see what's up.

Yes you can get better accuracy from handloads and usually cheaper per round then factory ammo. But for me it's about being self reliant I can mass produce 5.56, make a reduced recoil load for my wife’s 7mm-08, some super hot 300 win mags, or 9mm and 45 acp, etc all without leaving my shop. 20230902_083703.jpg20230902_083708.jpg20230902_083613.jpg

I used to shoot a lot and the cost of factory ammo is what got me started. Initial cost of reloading equipment can be low or high, it's up to you and what kind of precision you want. Lee makes some very affordable dies, presses,and other various tools. They will load ammo more accurately than what a lot of people can shoot. Or you can get into high dollar equipment for a little gain in accuracy. I fell into that rabbit hole several years ago and replaced my Lee stuff with higher end equipment. It's fun on the bench shooting little bug holes but when it comes to hunting scenarios, 1/2 moa vs 1 moa in the field won't kill that deer or elk any deader at reasonable hunting ranges(400yards for me)I wasted a bunch of money that could have been used on hunting tags. It gives you a lot of time and experience behind the gun which ultimately should make you a better shot.

Lots of knowledge in here, thank you all for contributing.

I think my biggest issue on why I want to get into it is ammo availability. I’d really like to get some abnormal cartridges like 280 AI but I just can’t find the ammo. Hell, 300 Weatherby in Wyoming is barrend. I had to go to 3 different shops in Cheyenne to get the last box in town, the. I bought a 200g box in Casper which I don’t even know that my gun likes. I get frustrated owning a gun I can’t shoot because no one stocks the good bullets I want.

So case in point, I have the brass which seems to be the hardest thing to find. Anything else I can get off the shelf and lid it myself. I’m sure I can get the same accuracy or better with that gun, just finding components is the concern….

Edit: I know I can buy ammo online, lots of 300 Weatherby available, but shipping fees are ridiculous. I’d only do it if I left ammo at home on a hunt.

Try finding g a .260 Remington 140gr or 147 gr bullet factory ammo…. :cautious: ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back