Caribou Gear

Is this a big bear ?

DKO

im not sure but i think its a toad :rolleyes: !! more pics with the story & measurements later......enjoy!

172040.jpg

I think that dude would easily qualify as a big bear!!! Good job..
Can't wait to hear the story and see the measurements....

That doesn't look like you DKO .... And I didn't know Florida Had such Big bears.. KUDOS :D

Long time no hear, Swing by more Often ya goof !!!

i wish it were mine and i wish i could have been there when he got him!......the hunter is my buddy Jay....... he killed the bear last week in B.C. i havent talked to him but his 14yr old son told me he remembered hearing 7' somthin and 22" which doesnt surprise me at all..... that bear has one big fat noggin! ...........spot & stalk hunt! .........wish i knew more and cant wait to hear myself!

his son also killed a 6'-8" chocolate bear with his rifle...............more pics soon!

Definately a HAWG!!! No doubt that is a big bear. I like the fact that the pic is of him right next to the bear instead of way behind it. Really gives the perspective on how big his body really is.

He must have been living good on what ever it is that grows in those swamps in that country. I have heard that bears on the East coast really can get very big...That is one nice bear. Way to go and Congrats... :D

the hunt was a spot & stalk hunt in B.C. Canada (baiting is prohibitted) they spotted the bear about 400yrds away meandering dwon a hillside to a large grassy meadow below, there was a ditch at the base of the hill, which provided the avenue to get to the bear realatively quietly and undetected. After an hour of inching along the ditch they could see the bear above them and tried to pick a path and a place to set-up for the shot. Because you have to have a guide to hunt here we had our Buddy Dave's bro Ed tag along and when Ed saw the bear through the his bino's he said Jay this bear is big and very worthy of taking with a rifle and i want you to consider that because this is an opportunity that you may never ever get again...Jay thought about it for a few seconds and said Ed you only shoot if my life is in danger....Ed smiled and said O.K.! So the bear is heading in their general direction the wind was right the sun had dropped shading the area they were hiding in and the whole thing unfolded like a dream...the bear popped out of the brush on the other side of the ditch exactly 18yrds from where they were Jay's first shot passed right through a bit farther back then he had hoped, the bear spun and stood on his hind legs as if to say WTF and took another arrow in the chest angling towrds the shoulder but poor penetration, the bear ran at that point along the ditch and stopped only about 60yrds away but out of sight! not hearing the death moan and knowing the second shot was quick and basically sucked they decided to wait a few min. then proceeded to try to find any sign or evidence of a solid hit. At this point Jay is telling himself why didnt i just kill it with the rifle, when they find blood then more blood then the arrow that hit the shoulder, following the blood trail they got to spot where they could see what they thought was there bear but turned out to be a different bear after some quick confusion then realizing that it wasnt there bear they proceeded to follow the trail when they did actually come accross their bear at the angle they were at and not being able to tell if the bear was actually dead or not Jay put one last arrow in the pump house and he was done! after the adrenaline rush was over they had a visual on the expired bear and knowing he was done they walked over to him and realized that there was no ground shrinkage and that it was a big bear that has one huge noggin!

"Because you have to have a guide to hunt here we had our Buddy Dave's bro Ed tag along"
I'm a little confused by this statement. Is Jay a non-resident? Is Ed a licenced guide working for the outfitter within the territory you were hunting?

BCBOY - Jay is my neighbor a non-resident that lives in fla. and Ed is a licensed guide that works for his bro Dave, Dave is a very good friend of ours who is the outfitter and owns the guide area, outfitters must own the hunting rights to a specific area in which they are permitted to operate their business. non-residents have to have a guide and the guide has to be permitted to hunt(guide) in a specific area.

since Dave is a good friend of ours we have first right or refusal on any cancelation hunts. this was a spur of the moment hunt that paid huge dividends!
i told Jay he needed to send that guy a pic! and a thank you note:

Where in southern B.C. are you ? we hunt between penticton and kamloops

Here's another pic of Jay's bear
175133.jpg

here's is his son's 6'-8" bear
175131.jpg

and here is Jerry's bear non-sure of any measurements but a nice lookin bear also
175132.JPG

enjoy hopefully more later !

Awesome bears and great story. Spot and stock with a bow sounds like a rush. thanks...

DKO,
Sorry for the confussion. Now that you've explained it I understand. Sounds like you have some good friends to be able to jump in spur of the moment like that. All those bears are very nice. It has really been a banner year for bears up here.
I live just north of Kamloops. Just got back from the Adams/Shuswap area guiding bears. We took 36 this year with several pushing that 7 foot mark. We also got one 7 foot+ grizzly too. We had an excellant spring to say the least. What's the name of Dave's outfit if you don't mind me asking? Looks like he's got a really good bear area.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back