Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Is Nov. too late for CA black bears?

RyanSoNorCal

Haven’t yet filled my bear tag. Been up to D5 at about 7500 feet and haven’t seen one bear. A lot of scat mid-late August but not much last time I was out 10/21. I was thinking about going back up the mountain in a few weeks but not sure if it was worth the trip. Just wondering if anyone has any luck this late in the season.

Haven’t yet filled my bear tag. Been up to D5 at about 7500 feet and haven’t seen one bear. A lot of scat mid-late August but not much last time I was out 10/21. I was thinking about going back up the mountain in a few weeks but not sure if it was worth the trip. Just wondering if anyone has any luck this late in the season.
Always worth a trip, many bears drop lower to feed on acorns and what's left of manzanita.

I don’t know about California but here in Idaho I walked by this rock yesterday, and there was dirt getting kicked out from underneath it. If I was really brave, I might have given the critter a little poke. I figured best not to bother it as it was preparing to den up.

Attachments

• 40251CE1-0DAE-45EB-B34D-3163F0E9F484.jpeg
    40251CE1-0DAE-45EB-B34D-3163F0E9F484.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
I've seen bear tracks in the fresh snow in that general area in November. Between 6000 and 7000 where the manzanita berries and little shin oaks with acorns are.

I wouldn't drive to hunt bears with snow in the forcast but if the weather is clear before there is a snowpack, there are bears moving...

As mentioned before, they do migrate to find food. We saw three bears in one spot at that elevation in Northern CA. in Sept. one year. Choke cherries everywhere, Bear scat everywhere. Went back at the end of October and there were no bears and no fresh sign at all.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back