Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Is it possible? Elks nose vs Thermals vs Elevation....

F

fwagner

So I have hunted unit 41 in Western Colorado for the last six years. It took a few years but I really have a good fixture on the elk movement, and have had great success the last three years. But I have always wanted to put a play in action and try something but I have never had the guts because I'm not sure I could get away with it without getting busted. I figure there is enough years of experience on this forum to help me make a decision. Where I hunt, like most places, the elk come down the mesa at night and then make their way back up to the rim of the mesa in the early morning light using the thermals to their advantage. Obviously getting in front of them in the morning with the thermals being what they are poses a potential risk of getting winded/busted. But I have always wondered if there is a "magic number" in terms of elevation that I could get away with crossing in front of them and getting in position to get a shot when they head to their bedding grounds. Can I get enough elevation between me and the herd and gamble that my scent would dissipate and not get them? 100ft, 200ft, 300ft, etc.? If started my approach several hours before sunrise when there is maximal distance between me and the herd could I pull this maneuver off? Or would my foot traffic be a potential disaster in itself? I'm not enough of a scientist to figure out the dynamics of scent molecules in the air but I figure the wisdom of this thread is just as good? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Do not eat spicy chili the night before.
I'm really not sure on this one but if you're early enough you may beat some of the thermals then come in from left or right instead of from above or below them. It's really tough to catch elk - impossible for most of us, once they decide they are going somewhere if you're chasing from below.
Some kind of crosswind could make your plan more workable too, allowing you to hunt into the wind.

Very sketchy! (grin) I'm sure you are aware of this for sure. Bottom line you cannot be winded & still exercise success. Being cognizant of the wind shows your concern. Your scent if conditions are dry can linger for less than 30 minutes. This means you need this amount of time minimum if there's a chance this herd can cross your entrance tracks as they head to bed. I'd consider more along the lines of the other poster in coming from left or right if at all possible? However I have at times been high enough above the elk with the wind going down & they were heading up to bed. A couple hundred yards minimum though & then move out of their path to get position. It's tricky but can be done with a bit of cooperation from the elk!

Here's a bull that I took that was coming in from my right as the wind was heading down in a similar fashion as you mention. The herd was in thick timber & on a bench moving from north to south. It was a huge gamble & like you I knew the area well enough to risk my positioning. The wind was extremely iffy but I felt if I could beat these elk to a specific spot on this bench I knew they crossed it from past experience that I had a chance. I covered close to a mile with 800' of elevation drop to try & get to this one spot by daylight. I could hear the herd bull bugling on the bench to my right as he was pushing his cows from a hyper satellite bull. It was perfect as he was vocal enough for me to keep tabs on him & his exact direction. As I got to the spot I wanted cows showed within 60 seconds & the bull showed in tow, the cows were going to hit my scent in 20 yards the way they were going & I knew crap was going to hit the fan quickly if they did before the bull showed! As they did they showed nervousness & started to scramble off the bench away from me, the herd bull showed about the same time with a strong bugle in the direction of the pesky satellite. He looked tense as the cows were leaving quickly, he stopped just long enough for me to place an arrow right where it needed to be! Luck was on my side that day! (grin) The wind is everything my friend, yes it can be risky but the rewards can be great! (grin) Let us know your decision!

ElkNut1

Attachments

• Brenda's Pick.jpg
    Brenda's Pick.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 291
No magic number in my experience. Sometimes you can get above them in a tight draw that funnels your scent past them if they are on a ridge coming up.

Sometimesyou can time it to pop in front of them right as the thermals are turning when out just starts to warm. Elk have incredible noses and I've seen them wind hunters from almost 1\2 mile away.

I recognized you from your Estrus Buzz video!! Great instructional video, used it to kill my first bull this past fall! Definitely going to pick up some mouth calls before September!!

Thank you sir & congrats on taking a bull via the Estrus Buzz! We've taken a few ourselves with that sound as well. (grin) If undecided on what mouth reed does that sound very well then consider the Mellow Yellow reed, it's my favorite one for it.
Good Luck!

ElkNut1

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioveraas
Back