Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Is a high-end hunting backpack too overkill for camping

Things change fast... people are always commenting about a piece of gear and I'm like, no way that's true and then I realized the version I have of that product is 10 years old.
That's the truth. I used to try to keep up on as much as I could, just can't bring myself to invest the time and money as much anymore.

Most important feature of any back pack is the lean fit preferably YOUNG body it is strapped to. Having carried so many >100 lb,. loads in a $79 campmor pack it bowls me over to see what guys spend now to suffer and keep up with the Jones' camo patterns.

Most important feature of any back pack is the lean fit preferably YOUNG body it is strapped to. Having carried so many >100 lb,. loads in a $79 campmor pack it bowls me over to see what guys spend now to suffer and keep up with the Jones' camo patterns.
I'm oddly turned on by this post. Not sure what the point is, but it starts off sexy 🤣🤣🤣

The point falls under the same general umbrella as "what is minor surgery?" Any surgery on someone else...

What is the best pack system for carrying heavy loads? Any pack on your buddy's back.

$ 6-800 pack frames??? they damn well better come with one of those anti-gravitational attachments. It is unreal what people can be talked into being indispensable by internet BS. For example read the kooeeeuuu booklet on clothing.

Mine wasnt nearly 600 for the frame, and it came with anti gravitational, and anti aging attachments. What a time to be alive

Appreciate you all! The beartooth is 6.7 lbs, and the terraframe 80 5.9 so quite similar. I've still not decided on any pack, been a hot minute since I had such a hard time finding the right thing.

Great advice so far in this thread. One note on the cost of the new packs - and this is coming from someone who has packed more elk in External Frame's and an older Osprey than I've packed in my MR. I've had an on-going back issue since my late 20's (bulging disc's). I had a pretty bad flare-up in 2010, and spent many days in PT getting my core strength back to a place where I could function over the course of that year. The total PT bill was well north of what my pack was. My wife pushed me to spend the money - and I have not once regretted it.

I keep the pack weight reasonable (under 80 lbs when packing out) - and still work on my core strength - to stay on top of things.

So in my mind, if you routinely carry more than 60 pounds in a pack - do yourself a favor and upgrade your pack.

I have a super nice, lightly used T100 I'll sell you for cheap. I used it for training with lead weight in it, but I picked up a used Metcalf that is closer to my main Marshall and better for my purposes. I really don't have a use for the T100 anymore.

I'm currently no hunter, but I spend alot of time in the wilderness. I currently use a 4400 cubic inch duffel which has been nothing but overly stuffed. Heck, I hike with boys who bring fully loaded 6500 CUI for 1nighters.

I see a clear purpose for modularity, overload shelves and many compression straps, seeing how I always bring a variety of bulky tools and equipment, food, beverages or even a packraft.

Currently looking at either a MR beartooth 80 + 41 pintler (bag-only) or a SG Sky 5900 which provides both 1night+hauling capabilities and multi-nights. The concern I have is if the load-hauling with all the compression straps is simply too much for my hiking and camping.

Any input you might have would be greatly appreciated.
I'd say go with what you can afford. I still stuff hundreds of pounds of meat into my 10 year old, 200$ internal frame pack. My buddy hunts with an old army bag. My cousin has a second hand pack frame that he straps a jansport to!

Gear can make things more comfortable but one can get along just fine without the high-dollar stuff.

I would think a high end hunting pack is similar in price to a good backpacking pack and is going to come with things like rifle scabbards that you may not use.

I used my Arc'teryx Altra 65 before I bought my 5500 Exo Mountain pack.

To me, 60lbs in my Arc'teryx is pretty uncomfortable. But 60lbs in my Exo feels like what a 30 load is in my Arc'teryx.

If it helps, i just bought a Surplus Molle II rucksack complete with frame, straps, and has something like 100 liters of space? I didn't want to spend 600 bucks on a hunting pack so I went this route. The rucksack cost me 65 bucks and is in almost perfect condition. I'm really happy with my purchase and it will be great for camping. For me, it is a great low cost solution. There are a few available on Amazon

I had a 5900, it is surprisingly small and was pretty well maxed out for overnights for me and I go pretty minimalist. If you plan on packing a lot of stuff I'd go with the Beartooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back