iowa duck water areas

jordan

in iowa here we have mostly small ponds and big creeks. in the thread iowa ducks I was told to get onto some big water.....the only big water I know of with ducks is spirit lake and that is 2 to 3 hours away. do you guys have anything you know of in iowa? I live in the northwest corner of iowa its a terrible spot for a mass of ducks but I love waterfowl and continue to pursue the ducks :hump:

You will have better luck asking this question on Iowasportsman.com

You need to check out Iowa big water and all them grain fields-----ducks will congregate by 1000's if ice and snow don't keep them from feeding. And if big water doesn't freeze, mallards especially will wait around for a thaw and go back to fields.

South along the Missouri near Missouri Valley is probably as good of area within a few hours of you that you'll find for larger numbers, otherwise get a float tube and float the Floyd, Little Sioux, Big Sioux, and Rock rivers and you will jump more ducks than you know what to do with.

Last edited:
We will need more rain before floating those rivers as of right now but thats good advice.

If you haven't had a hard freeze yet, the wood ducks should still be there. Timbered streams and creeks next to cut grain , especially where the stream bends and the field forms a pocket at the bend. No need for decoys there. Woodies prefer that to big, open water and the pass shooting can be quick. Best eating duck IMO.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back