Iowa Disabled Person/Veteran Hunt

iawhitetail3

I'm looking to host a military veteran or someone with special needs for a spring turkey or deer hunt this fall in Iowa. We have access to private ground with blinds and ATV for someone who has trouble getting around. A thread on here really struck a cord with me and I would like to give back to someone who just might not be able to do it themselves anymore. New to hunting is fine or an old timer that just needs some help is fine too.

What kind of lodging would you have for people with disabilities or in wheelchairs?Is this a management hunt or a trophy potential hunt?

I'm looking to host a military veteran or someone with special needs for a spring turkey or deer hunt this fall in Iowa. We have access to private ground with blinds and ATV for someone who has trouble getting around. A thread on here really struck a cord with me and I would like to give back to someone who just might not be able to do it themselves anymore. New to hunting is fine or an old timer that just needs some help is fine too.
Thats great and highly respected offer you share but some questions as you offer. FYI i am a disabled vet who hosts a fellow random disabled vet that is a NR annually here in wyoming so i know the issues. The benefit beyond the hunt that i provide is i can provide a tag to the individual that i host due to a state program. Arent all iowa NR deer/turkey tags draw and have several years of waiting or is any special programs in place for vets that i am unaware of? I am not looking to take you up on your great offer just curious as i deal with the DAV licenses in several states and iowa has never been mentioned.

I am very interested in helping with this. Where are you in Iowa? If the hunter is a nonresident it is hard to get a tag but a resident is very simple. I don't have any residents that I can think of now but I will keep it in mind.

Thats great and highly respected offer you share but some questions as you offer. FYI i am a disabled vet who hosts a fellow random disabled vet that is a NR annually here in wyoming so i know the issues. The benefit beyond the hunt that i provide is i can provide a tag to the individual that i host due to a state program. Arent all iowa NR deer/turkey tags draw and have several years of waiting or is any special programs in place for vets that i am unaware of? I am not looking to take you up on your great offer just curious as i deal with the DAV licenses in several states and iowa has never been mentioned.
Depends on the season and NR unit. Some NR units have tags available, archery in se Iowa or ne Iowa you are looking at 5 points.

Fellas, I volunteer with a non-profit ( American Heroes in Action) and we specialize in getting combat wounded and injured vets out into the wild. If you would like to partner with us we have the resources to help with travel, lodging, meals, tags etc and have a list of qualified vets from all across the country. Feel free to PM me. I started as a recipient of a trip and since I have retired I serve on an outreach board and coordinate several trips a year.

I don't know if there are tags available for NR disabled vets. To be honest, I was thinking about opportunities for residents where the tag situation wouldn't be an issue because I know it can take years to draw a NR deer tag. I don't think NR turkey tags are an issue to get, but I can't see someone paying for the NR hunting license + NR turkey tag to come hunt turkeys in Iowa.

Last edited:
What kind of lodging would you have for people with disabilities or in wheelchairs?Is this a management hunt or a trophy potential hunt?
This is a 'come and hunt with a regular guy' type of hunt. I have worked my ass off to have what I have, but I am getting to that age where I would like to share what I have with someone who is less fortunate, whether that is due to health, disability, or access. While I manage my farms for age structure and trophy animals, every year is different in the quality of animals. And a trophy to me is different than a trophy to most. I will admit I am spoiled to a degree. I've had out of state friends come hunt with me and they have shot anywhere from 130's to 180's but 140-150" is realistic.

Fellas, I volunteer with a non-profit ( American Heroes in Action) and we specialize in getting combat wounded and injured vets out into the wild. If you would like to partner with us we have the resources to help with travel, lodging, meals, tags etc and have a list of qualified vets from all across the country. Feel free to PM me. I started as a recipient of a trip and since I have retired I serve on an outreach board and coordinate several trips a year.
Ok, this is exactly what I need. I just want to do something nice for someone but the logistics of a NR hunter with a disability would be beyond me. I was thinking of a resident for the ease of this but I would love to host a NR if the logistics work out.

Last edited:
I am very interested in helping with this. Where are you in Iowa? If the hunter is a nonresident it is hard to get a tag but a resident is very simple. I don't have any residents that I can think of now but I will keep it in mind.
I am located in central Iowa around DM. If you can think of any residents, please send me a PM with their contact information.

This is a 'come and hunt with a regular guy' type of hunt. I have worked my ass off to have what I have, but I am getting to that age where I would like to share what I have with someone who is less fortunate, whether that is due to health, disability, or access. While I manage my farms for age structure and trophy animals, every year is different in the quality of animals. And a trophy to me is different than a trophy to most. I will admit I am spoiled to a degree. I've had out of state friends come hunt with me and they have shot anywhere from 130's to 180's but 140-150" is realistic.
Good on you. This is pretty neat.

I have done the same on our land in South Dakota. There's a lot more that goes into it when hosting people in wheelchairs. If you need any help on that part let me know.

I’d be interested in this opportunity. I’m just north of you with a service connected disability. I can’t pull a bow but can drag my leg pretty good.

Disabled vet here and someone who truly appreciates these types of offers. First off, thank you for the thought. Although I'm more than likely not in line to take part in your offer, there's a few awesome non profits that do just what you are looking for. Reach out to a few and just get the feels for what you want to do. The Fallen Outdoors is a good start that operates in your area. They've got a great Midwest chapter that works with veterans both with disabilities and those that don't. Your choice.

@ccc23454 i love Wyoming for this very reason. Can't wait to get back.

I have done the same on our land in South Dakota. There's a lot more that goes into it when hosting people in wheelchairs. If you need any help on that part let me know.
Would love to talk about it. I will send you a PM. I have never done something like this so there is a lot I don't know. Was hoping to I might be able to get someone from a wheel chair to an ATV but that might be wishful thinking. I flat out might not be able to accommodate people in wheelchairs.

Would love to talk about it. I will send you a PM. I have never done something like this so there is a lot I don't know. Was hoping to I might be able to get someone from a wheel chair to an ATV but that might be wishful thinking. I flat out might not be able to accommodate people in wheelchairs.
You bet! Shout anytime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back