Intro

Ranger89

Hey all,

I wanted to introduce myself real quick and then ask some advice for an upcoming hunt.

I was born and raised in Oregon and hunted elk on public lands as I was growing up. My family hunted Heppner or Starkey units and when I was in college I started hunting the Cascades, mostly inter Alsea unit. I’ve spent the majority of my 20s in and out of the Middle East and now I’ve made a commitment to myself to get back out west when feasible to hunt elk again. Myself and two buddies going to try for an elk hunt this year if I’m in the US and I’ve already put in for a controlled hunt with my family back in Oregon.

For the hunt with my buddies, we’re looking at Utah, Idaho, or Washington. What are some of the best public areas in these states for guys who are fit and aren’t afraid to put in some miles.

I’m glad to be here and looking forward to sharing thoughts and knowledge in the future.

Also, Randy that sitka blacktail hunt you showed us was amazing! Hoping to get some buddies up there in the next couple of years to do the same.

Thank you for your service. Not that I'm trying to push you away from WA, but honestly it would be my backup choice, you can buy a tag anytime and are not limited to certain units other than you have to pick Eastern WA or Western WA. The problem with WA, other than a ton of hunters and low success rates, is the areas that have many elk are limited to spike only, unless you're looking for an archery hunt. A few more cow options there but those have gotten more limited too. Don't know much about western WA, in eastern WA you have the main Yakima population along the central eastslope of the cascades with lots of good public access, spike only. Probably the best area if you wanted to do more backcountry style hunt. The northeast corner of the state has good public access, and any bull with rifle, but hard to find elk, especially if you can't scout it intensively. The southeast corner is Blue Mtn herd, but also spike only with rifle, and population has been one of the harder hit the last few years. Some backcountry options as well. In between there's any elk areas, but they are dominated by private land so access is near impossible for many areas that hold a few elk. I always count on having a good time hunting elk in WA, and I always do, I just don't count on killing anything. There are some who kill elk here consistently, I tend to consistenly almost kill them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back