Yeti GOBOX Collection

Insulated jacket rec's for backpacking

Tanndi

I freeze my butt off at night and I need an insulated jacket https://getawaychief.com/jackets-for-backpacking/ . I frequent alpine areas, want to be able to tolerate more cold and winter backpacking. It sounds like down is better if you want a jacket to last more than a few years (warmth loss due to compression is common in synthetics). I don't want something super heavy as I'll be carrying it all day, but I'm already sending back a Patagonia Down Sweater Hoodie because the fabric is incredibly delicate and it tears at the slightest touch -- literally got a rip just hanging around town in Los Angeles, would hate to see what a mountain would do to it... so burlier fabric than that is an absolute must. Not interested in ultra-light backpacking, just gear I can rely on for years. Also needs a hood. Go!

It's kind of a catch 22, because there aren't many high fill power options out there that will have more than a 20 or 30 denier face fabric. They sorta assume you're counting ounces. I've never had much trouble keeping my puffy coats from ripping, but I use them such that I mostly avoid abrasion. Maybe the Eddie Bauer Peak XV, at 40d? Not my thing for backpacking but it might fit your bill as well as anything I'm aware of.

I have found the opposite to be true. My older down coats are much colder now than my older synthetic. My preference is to buy relatively cheap down coats on clearance whenever I can buy them, and just know they're not going to last forever. I also bring a small roll of duck/gorilla tape with me which can fix even large tears in the field.

This is the best I've seen for what I think you're looking for: https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/...22243?showProducts=&color=907&sizetype=&size=

Not sure what your budget is or hunting style but I recommend having a hard-shell, soft shell, and puffy jacket in your closet. I typically hunt in the softshell, add the puffy for insulation, and throw on the hard-shell if there is precipitation. I carry the Arc'teryx Beta SL Hybrid as my hardshell, a Rab puffy, and then the Sitka Jetstream jacket. A good rule of thumb is never to wear a puffy as an outer-layer, if I'm glassing in the early morning I put the puffy on over my softshell then the hard shell on top, if I'm breaking brush my top layer is always the soft-shell as it's the most abrasion resistant. I never hike in a puffy as they don't breath well and tend to just leave you a sweaty mess.

I have a montane that’s very warm and feels more durable than my kuiu. It’s not camo though. If you’re good not having camo I’d check them out.

Check out the Kifaru Lost Park Parka. It’s very warm and has added durability in spots. I take it on all late season hunts. I bought it in a solid to wear around town as well

I like western mountaineering jackets and bags. Great warmth to weight ratio.

LOVE my sitka Kelvin puffy jacket with primaloft. Super warm and lightweight as well.

Back