Input needed: Browning Hells Canyon Suppressor Ready

MThuntr

Buddy asked me about the Browning Hells Canyon Suppressor Ready in 6.5 PRC. I don't know much about them. Looks like a 20" barrel cerakoted barrel (1:8 twist) with detachable mag. I've shot a couple A-bolts and like the 60 degree throw but otherwise don't have an opinion on this line of rifles. 6.5lbs topped with a midweight scope might be a nice setup especially paired with a suppressor. I don't know anything of the triggers or if they shoot worth a dang. I warned him of the cost of brass and powder but he doesn't seem to care.

What are your thoughts?

@Mthuntr I have had a couple Browning Hells Canyon's and shot Browning X Bolts and A Bolts all my life.
I have adjusted (had adjusted) the triggers to make them lighter. They have all shot extremely accurate and I never had any issues.
I own a 6.5 PRC and the Hornady ELDM and ELDX are both available at my local Sportsman's and also at Cabelas/Bass Pro in the states surrounding me.
I have also been able to purchase 6.5 PRC on AmmoSeek.com

I really like the xbolts. Weaknesses are that the receiver is very thin and easy to strip with scope base screws if overtorqued, the trigger isn’t my favorite, and the limited aftermarket support.

They do sporter stock shapes better than any of the other common factory rifles though IMO, the actions run smoother than about anything but tikkas, they have a truly flush fitting detachable mag, and the one I have shoots awesome. My basic factory stainless stalker 300wsm xbolt has gotten more hunting time than any of my customs that cost 4x as much. It’s just a nice little rifle to carry around.

I have an X-Bolt hells canyon LR in Manbun and it is an awesome off the shelf gun. Trigger just slightly heavy, but drives tacks with 143 GR ELDx.

Overall I love the gun and shoot it as good or better than anything else I own

I have 2 x bolts. Excellent guns. both shoot at or under 1" MOA

I have a x-bolt pro in 28 Nosler and an x bolt stalker stainless in 30-06. Lightweight and cycle fast and smooth

I am not a suppressor guy so cant help you there.

Think I'd be inclined to go for one of the Tikka T3X CTRs in 6.5 PRC but admittedly (1) it is two pounds heavier than the Browning and (2) I'm a Tikka fanboy.
After watching how easy it is to work with Tikka Rebarrels that's the route I'd be inclined to take.

I also learned the Browning's HC line is a 1:7 twist not 1:8.

Last edited:
Think I'd be inclined to go for one of the Tikka T3X CTRs in 6.5 PRC but admittedly (1) it is two pounds heavier than the Browning and (2) I'm a Tikka fanboy.

Are you sure they make CTRs in PRC? I wasn’t aware of any.

I’m not sure they make a standard lite in PRC either or that would be an easy candidate to just chop @ 20” and thread as a comparison to browning. I think they only come in the veil and roughtec lines that are a little heavier, more expensive, and fluted. 24” barrel plus can is too much. Maybe they come in the varmint too?

I have 4 tikkas and 1 xbolt and for someone who just wants a lightweight hunting rifle that they are leaving stock, I lean towards the browning.

Are you sure they make CTRs in PRC? I wasn’t aware of any.

I’m not sure they make a standard lite in PRC either or that would be an easy candidate to just chop @ 20” and thread as a comparison to browning. I think they only come in the veil and roughtec lines that are a little heavier, more expensive, and fluted. 24” barrel plus can is too much. Maybe they come in the varmint too?

I have 4 tikkas and 1 xbolt and for someone who just wants a lightweight hunting rifle that they are leaving stock, I lean towards the browning.
Item no. TF1T96DL105MTB according to their website but only available in 24in.

I’ve got a Hells Canyon LR in .300 WSM and it’s very accurate and not picky ammo wise. Replace the factory trigger spring with an Mcarbo spring and you’ll have an excellent trigger. Took me about 15/20 minutes to change mine. Well worth it.

Cool. Are you sure they import that one to the US? I know they don’t import the whole line.
I'm not seeing them on any distributor websites yet but keep an eye on Lipseys.

I'll add-- if you aren't set on the 6.5 PRC, these are readily available in 6.5 Creed and .308. I built a semi-custom rifle using a 6.5 Creed CTR as the base and love it. Stupid accurate, heavy enough to be steady but not too heavy to carry, 20inch barrel was perfect for treestand/shooting blind hunting in the southeast.

Last edited:
As stated the Mcarbo spring will be the best $13 bucks you'll spend, been buying them for Brownings and Ruger Americans Predator model, Brownings are impressive, you get alot of value with them.

Well buddy's wife found out about our plans to get a gun and shut down his decision making so in standard fashion my wallet slipped and I bought the rifle. Now to get some overpriced brass. Good thing I'm stacked full of H1000, RL23, and RL26 :D that I had planned for a 7PRC build.

I can't believe I caved because Sunday I was doing load development with my 6.5Creedmoor with Stabal6.5 I was able to get 140gr Nosler RDFs to 2866fps (this showed pressure and was over max so not using it) but with nearly 1grain lower velocities hovered around 2800. I need to load some bigger testing groups and take it to 200 yards to find the sweet spot but a 12 shot ladder grouped around 1" at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Have a X-Bolt Western Hunter LR in manbun and it’s a beauty. 1:7 twist rather than the usual 1:8 in 6.5 CMs so the ELD-Xs are on a wire through it. Action is super smooth, and the adjustable comb is great too. Was able to fit a 42mm objective scope on low rings as well. Main thing I would say is definitely use a torque wrench installing the bases to the receiver, easy to strip if you don’t.

I have a browning xbolt hells canyon speed 6.5 creedmoor in burnt bronze cerakote paired with a leupold vx3-hd in burnt bronze and matching leupold rings (see pic). I did some ammo research a couple years ago when I bought the gun, and settled on Hornady's Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 ELD-X. It's done great on the range and in the field. I live in the southeast and my son has harvested a nice whitetail buck and a big nasty hog with it. We love the gun. Hopefully soon I'll be swapping out the muzzle break for a suppressor. One thing I like about this xbolt, compared to my other rifles is the little button that you have to push to slide the bolt open (when loaded). I have found with my other rifles when hiking through thick terrain, my bolt will get pulled open - this gun won't allow that to happen. And, I like the detachable mag. Its lightweight, comfortable in the hands and cheekweld, I love the gun! My only negative is the cerekote finish doesn't seem to be as durable as stainless, but I don't think that is specific to browning. I prefer this low/no glare factor of the cerakote, so I'll compromise. Rifle.jpeg

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back