Injury before a hunt

QELKhunter

Good afternoon everyone!

I broke 3 bones in my foot a little over 8 weeks ago. I ended up with a total of 5 fractures across the bones in the arch of my left foot. I was completely non-weight bearing for the first 6 weeks and then in a walking boot for the other 2 weeks. I am currently walking in regular street shoes again but after not being able to use that left leg at all for 6 weeks I have lost a significant amount of muscle mass and strength in that leg, ankle and foot.

My foot is still somewhat swollen and very tender to the touch but I am able to ambulate very well. The doctor has advised that I am clear to "walk" as much as I can stand but should avoid running, hiking or traversing any uneven terrain for the next 4-6 weeks. Since the break was to the arch of my foot any real bending that you experience during change in slope really agitates the injury. Since 4-6 weeks of limited walking and hiking puts me in elk season, CO archery, I won't get to put as many miles in the woods as I would like for scouting preseason and most definitely not in the tough terrain I like to hunt.

What really concerns me is I can't build muscle back in that leg at the rate I would like since I can't really push myself to much. I walked from my work to the local grocery store and back for lunch on Monday. Round trip is about 2 miles, I spent the rest of the day and night with throbbing pain and spasms that would come and go.

Does anyone have any recommendations on exercises I can do that strengthen the calf muscle and ankles? I need something that doesn't require a lot of flexing or pressure on the foot, at least the arch of the foot. Either way I am making it to the elk woods this fall. If I can't get the strength back that I would like I am going the route or using horses to get me in and out, though this is not my preferred hunting method.

Any advice or feedback is welcomed.

Thanks all!

For strength, I would hit the bike pretty hard, and maybe an elliptical trainer if that doesn’t hurt too bad. Both are pretty easy on the feet and joints. Given the injury, I would also ask your dr about orthotics. Having even pressure across that arch might help with the pain.

I’d be careful for sure with pushing it. Better to be laid up one season then be crippled for several in the future.

I personally use minimal shoes as much as possible for working out and running. My feet/ankles/lower legs have never felt better, something about using the foot the way it was designed. Shtuff happens though and injuries will occur. Never found a pair of orthotics that felt good enough to wear long term, they all felt super doughy, but maybe in the interim they’d work.

Either way, good luck with your recovery and hope you are able to get out some!

Yes, a stationary bike or any other mechanical appliance would be good for strengthening the legs.

I had foot surgery Apr 5th this year. I'm just now getting back to where I'm walking without excruciating pain.
A boot/shoe* with a good stiff sole will help support the foot. The more comfortable the foot, the more productive your exercise sessions will be.

* - New Balance "Fresh Foam More" is VERY good footwear for exercise and general wear.

I remember when I had to have a shoulder surgery that my surgeon said could not wait until after my scheduled black bear hunt. Typical me figures hey , I can sit in a tent n heal up as easily as at home. My hunting buddy, thanks Mike, ganged up with my wife n talked me down. Glad she did cus when the pain meds wore off not even a bear would have wanted to be near me.
Maybe best to listen to those around you, sometimes anyhows

Definitely don't push it - especially early. Check your shoes/boots - check your inserts. I have feet problems and have become a little sensitive when it comes to my feet from years of not taking care of them. I don't know alot - but go get your feet fitted - maybe look for a high cushion shoe like for plantar fasciitis (Hoka One Ones are what my wife used) and try to manipulate as much as you can. If you go to a local gym you can work your quads, hams, calves all with minimal stress to the bending/pressure/flexing of your foot. It should allow for some strength recovery at least.
Eliptical is a good idea, or a strider, for low impact movement as well.

Good luck man - that sucks but glad you are on recovery road!

Good afternoon everyone!

I broke 3 bones in my foot a little over 8 weeks ago. I ended up with a total of 5 fractures across the bones in the arch of my left foot. I was completely non-weight bearing for the first 6 weeks and then in a walking boot for the other 2 weeks. I am currently walking in regular street shoes again but after not being able to use that left leg at all for 6 weeks I have lost a significant amount of muscle mass and strength in that leg, ankle and foot.

My foot is still somewhat swollen and very tender to the touch but I am able to ambulate very well. The doctor has advised that I am clear to "walk" as much as I can stand but should avoid running, hiking or traversing any uneven terrain for the next 4-6 weeks. Since the break was to the arch of my foot any real bending that you experience during change in slope really agitates the injury. Since 4-6 weeks of limited walking and hiking puts me in elk season, CO archery, I won't get to put as many miles in the woods as I would like for scouting preseason and most definitely not in the tough terrain I like to hunt.

What really concerns me is I can't build muscle back in that leg at the rate I would like since I can't really push myself to much. I walked from my work to the local grocery store and back for lunch on Monday. Round trip is about 2 miles, I spent the rest of the day and night with throbbing pain and spasms that would come and go.

Does anyone have any recommendations on exercises I can do that strengthen the calf muscle and ankles? I need something that doesn't require a lot of flexing or pressure on the foot, at least the arch of the foot. Either way I am making it to the elk woods this fall. If I can't get the strength back that I would like I am going the route or using horses to get me in and out, though this is not my preferred hunting method.

Any advice or feedback is welcomed.

Thanks all
I just saw your post from several weeks ago. Whereabouts do you live? I have a ranch in the mountain foothills West of Monte Vista. If you're challenged by a long hike into the backcountry, depending on the timing and circumstances, perhaps one of my horses can get you where you want to go? I'll be muzzleloading hunting this year, but enjoy being out on the trails with my horses and mules both day riding and packing in.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back