Info on 2013 Wyo. Antelope

billy-bob8

I know that this is a DIY website, and Im not looking for anybodys "Honey Hole". I have done the research and I am thinking about putting in for unit 48 second season for 2013. I have 2 preference point so I should draw. What do you think of this unit?
Any suggestions for other areas with the second season where I can look into?
This would be my first Antelope trip to Wyo. Can anybody help with info as to the availibility of public land, what areas I should start my scouting, camping and or motel references, ect.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance

The southern half of the unit is all checkerboarded property. The northern part above the reservoir has a lot of public land, but I have no idea what the antelope situation is since I've never set foot in the unit.

Several of us Hunt Talkers hunted there in 2011. Animals were quite spooky by the time second season rolled around. Good unit with lots of animals. Might want to get a deer tag as well. We did some camping down on the miracle mile and also stayed in Rawlins at one of the campgrounds. Good meat processor east of Rawlins that was real cheap, seem like $75 if you payed cash. If you have any specific questions send me a PM.

Looking at the drought map - that area was nailed pretty bad in 2012. Unless the winter has been very good in the area - the trophy quality might be poor.

Thanks for the info. The tip about the drought conditions was very helpful I will check with the local game wardens as to the drought affect on the Antelope. It appears that almost anywhere you go in Wyo you can have a quality hunt if your willing to put in the miles. Second season will have spookier animals but hopefully less hunting pressure after opening weekend. The timing of the first week of Oct. lets us hunt Elk in Az in Sept. Im sure I will have more ???????? if we draw, Thanks again

I hunted there in 2008. My son and I both took good animals. His scored 77 and change and mine was a bit smaller. We saw plenty of animals and while scouting earlier in the year, we saw a buck that was easily B&C. We filled our tags on opening day and probably could have found even bigger bucks if we had held out. I have no idea how the drought has affected the unit.

We camped at the east end of the Bennett Mountains.

I was there in 2012 and 2011. 2011 was a lot better. In 2012 I covered twice the ground and spent twice the time but only saw half the animals.I ran into the area biologist last year and he thought that the herd was down at least 1/3 and that horn growth was hampered by poor range conditions and low spring/early summer moisture.

I would expect to see plenty of hunting pressure - I hunted mid October both times and there were very few times I couldn't see another hunter or vehicle. It really gets crazy once the deer hunt starts and I think most of the type 2 licenses come out during deer season rather than opening weekend. It was an absolute circus last year and I actually moved to a new spot because I thought it was getting out of hand. There were about half a dozen groups on three different roads surrounding a herd of antelope and with all the shooting as the animals went back and forth, I don't know how someone or their vehicle didn't take a bullet. I bet there 50-75 rounds fired in the course of a few minutes - and that was on a Thursday!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back