In need of a 12 Step Program

Bullshot

Hi. My name is (YOUR NAME HERE) and I've got an applying problem........

With the silly season winding down, is there anyone with a compulsive application problem that cares to share to what lengths they went to try to snag a premium tag this year? What's the most applications you have ever submitted to various states/raffles? I am fearful that I am entering support group territory 😬 so I am hoping someone else will jump on this and set the bar at where they think enthusiasm ends and a problem begins 😂......

My spreadsheet has 24 columns in which I'm accruing points for. 6 states

I'm at $851 so far this year for points only and still got to buy points in 2 more states.

I'm typically around 38-40 apps/points. I do not do MSG other than in my home state.

Do I have y'alls permission to show this thread to my wife to make my 4 states look very reasonable? LOL So far I've heard, "But what do you GET for the $50-100???" several times lol.

Do I have y'alls permission to show this thread to my wife to make my 4 states look very reasonable? LOL So far I've heard, "But what do you GET for the $50-100???" several times lol.
We dont have kids, and so some disposable income. Also, this is what I do. My wife is certainly more understanding than most I know in supporting me on this. On the other side, I make sure that what she wants is covered too. And when I'm home, im all the way home.

I am fifty one years old and apply for about twenty four different applications in the west. I am about eleven years into my so called "strategy". While I have drawn some great tags in the past even my slow math has me realizing that I will likely not live/hunt enough to use them all up unless I start drawing tags at a much faster rate..

We dont have kids, and so some disposable income. Also, this is what I do. My wife is certainly more understanding than most I know in supporting me on this. On the other side, I make sure that what she wants is covered too. And when I'm home, im all the way home.

I always knew those darn kids were weighing me down! lol. In all seriousness, I know that this is a season and things will be different when the three little ones are older.

Am I the only one putting in for the new Colorado Plateau spotted articulated squirter skunk bonus points this year.

Super proud to be getting in on the ground floor for this soon to be coveted species for only $35 in application fees.

Last edited:
I am fifty one years old and apply for about twenty four different applications in the west. I am about eleven years into my so called "strategy". While I have drawn some great tags in the past even my slow math has me realizing that I will likely not live/hunt enough to use them all up unless I start drawing tags at a much faster rate..

Wow, your post gets my attention personally. I turn 41 years old this year, and this my first year.......

Sheep in 10 states
Mtn Goat in 5 states
Elk in 6 states
Mule deer in 4 states
Antelope in 4 states
Black bear in 2 states
Moose in 2 states

I am about $1,400 into it this year, not including refundable holds.

In my mind, the X factor is what the future holds for hunting.....laws, hunter recruitment (demand for tags), etc. Since I don't play powerball, scratch offs, etc., I guess I will have to look at it as my form of gambling. If I lose, it was fun to have the hope. If I win, then obviously it was worth it.

Seems I am in good company in this crowd. When it's all said and done, I might be in for up to 55 applications this year, including 14 preference/bonus point apps and then the rest an even split of random tag applications and raffles. It has felt like more than a few to far... after about 30, the excitement waned and the cringing over expenses gained. Don't expect to draw anything either, given the low to minutely low odds I put in for.

Wow, your post gets my attention personally. I turn 41 years old this year, and this my first year.......

Sheep in 10 states
Mtn Goat in 5 states
Elk in 6 states
Mule deer in 4 states
Antelope in 4 states
Black bear in 2 states
Moose in 2 states

I am about $1,400 into it this year, not including refundable holds.

In my mind, the X factor is what the future holds for hunting.....laws, hunter recruitment (demand for tags), etc. Since I don't play powerball, scratch offs, etc., I guess I will have to look at it as my form of gambling. If I lose, it was fun to have the hope. If I win, then obviously it was worth it.
I remember talking to Garth Carter at the Huntin Fool when I was about your age. He said if I was healthy and lucky I might draw two sheep tags in my lifetime. I have hunted Dall sheep in Alaska but I am yet to draw a NR tag in the lower forty eight.
My strategy looks a lot like yours. With hindsight I wonder if Mt Goat is worth it. You can buy a tag in AK or Canada so why accumulate points?
Don’t forget about ID for moose. I drew a once in a lifetime tag there and you won’t find better odds anywhere. That said, there are some great moose hunts you don’t have to wait years to draw just up north.
Applying is expensive and time consuming. I don’t run a trap line so what else am I going to do until turkey season. It’s always fun to dream about the next adventure.

In the points game since 1995...drew my 3rd sheep tag this year. all Colo resident licenses. Turned one back in years ago and about to hunt sheep for 2nd time on latest tag. Have drawn moose (3 times including 2 cow) and mtn goat and sheep in home state. And great elk tags here and in NM (3x), WY, AZ (twice), and many great lope tags all states including NV and great deer in CO, UT, WY.

Totally worth the expense and effort..

Most all tags are bow tags so a bit easier to draw....I need a 12 step program but too busy for a meeting tonight since leaving for a Utah bear hunt that took 9 freaking bonus points...maybe next week...wait the Colo moose draw is Monday...LOL

Yea, NR sheep tags are a tough nut to crack. I am way jealous of all those who have received one and hope my day comes once in my lifetime.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back