In Market for new Camera

mconway951

I have a simple point and shoot right now and am in the market for a new DSLR right now I hav about 700 to spend and have found some nice nikon kits on ebay that i am considering.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130398896983&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:ITe
I am gonna get a couple of added extras like a remote and extra batteries. Anybody have any other suggestions
Eventually I would love to upgrade and some more lenses for long range pic shooting.

Again open to suggestions so feel free to voice opions i have all nikon optics now except for the point and shoot all my binos spotters and rifle scopes are nikon.

thanks again
Mike

My suggestions:

1. Just buy a body and get an 18-200mm lens instead, you won't regret it. What I find is I'm always switching the lens.
2. You might not need a 2nd battery right away as these take like 600 pics on a single charge, well my D60 does.
3. Get a nice backpack to carry all the toys and make sure it has room for 2 new lenses.... :)
4. Get a good mono or tripod if you don't already have one.
5. Save more money because you always are going to want a new lens for one reason or another.
6. Lens suggestions. 10-24 wide angle and if you REALLY think you need one and can afford it get the 400mm zoom, costs about $1600. I used my friends last week at the zoo and it's heavy, but you can really reach out there with it.
7. If you can afford it, get the D5000 instead. Has a few extra nice features and not the cost of a D90.

Last edited:
2nd on the Nikon D5000...Just bought a factory refurbished unit from B&H Photo for a little more than $500. We just used it on a Disney trip and it makes a world of difference compared to a normal point and shoot. Like MN Public Hunter said a battery lasts a LONG time on these so I would wait on the 2nd battery. I think the 18-55 regular lens is gonna get you through 90% of normal shooting.

For long range and "photo hunting" you'll need the zoom lens but if you are just taking the first step into DLSR you may want to get the feel first. Also note that your lenses, for the most part, will work with other camera bodies of the same Manuf.

Here is an unbiased review of the D5000(and others on his site). This guy ranks the D5000 as the best beginner DLSR.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

Back