Illinois Dream Buck

Thought I’d post an image of why I won’t waste a single day deer hunting in my state of Indiana. Once October hits I’m outta here!
I realize this was posted awhile ago, but I’d love to talk to the creators of that image. They are trying to tell us that you have a better chance killing a PY buck in Tennessee and Arkansas than Indiana!?!? 😂

I hope they never stop printing that and I hope people keep believing it.

PS - congrats on that buck. A real stud! Sounds like you put in years to get one like that!

I realize this was posted awhile ago, but I’d love to talk to the creators of that image. They are trying to tell us that you have a better chance killing a PY buck in Tennessee and Arkansas than Indiana!?!? 😂

I hope they never stop printing that and I hope people keep believing it.

PS - congrats on that buck. A real stud! Sounds like you put in years to get one like that!

Ya good question. Not sure what the heck “Bonus State” means. Not that it matters to me. I’ll only hunt Illinois and Iowa, when I have the points. I should have clarified I would never waste my time on Indiana public land. Private can be good. I would also rate IN Private better than TN/AR/TX. Indiana public is horrible due to 32 gun days, 16 during peak rut, and no hunter quotas. OBR has zero benefit on public.

Attachments

• D1CDAD4A-677C-4009-980E-08C10B8E12C5.jpeg
    D1CDAD4A-677C-4009-980E-08C10B8E12C5.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Forgot to post photo after picking up from the taxidermist. I don’t do long arm photos but this was only way I could hold him. Also, failed to mention previously, but yes I took him on public land. However, beware it took me 30 years of hunting, and my job travels take me to every corner of the state, during which I’ve scouted thousands of acres. Even then I needed a ton of luck.
797C3AD0-FE54-4630-8CD1-6A482967FA2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to post photo after picking up from the taxidermist. I don’t do long arm photos but this was only way I could hold him. Also, failed to mention previously, but yes I took him on public land. However, beware it took me 30 years of hunting, and my job travels take me to every corner of the state, during which I’ve scouted thousands of acres. Even then I needed a ton of luck.
View attachment 266788
It came out great. Where did you take it to have it mounted? Just curious as I know we live pretty close to each other.

Indiana‘s numbers have been getting increasingly better as of late although I’m sure these numbers are coming from mainly private land. The public land options in your area of the state are pretty limited for sure.

66053538-1387-45F8-ABCC-C97B6D52DFE8.jpeg

It came out great. Where did you take it to have it mounted? Just curious as I know we live pretty close to each other.
Well I took him in downstate Illinois near where the guy shot that new IL record buck. In fact took it to same processor, Korte Meats in Highland. So I had the local guy down there do it. Larry Keilbach Taxidermy. Was his highest scoring 2021 deer.

Last edited:
Indiana‘s numbers have been getting increasingly better as of late although I’m sure these numbers are coming from mainly private land. The public land options in your area of the state are pretty limited for sure.

View attachment 267010
Hard to believe but ya I’d safely estimate 53 of those IN entries were taken on private 😂. It’s impossible to find sleeper public land in IN due to the low number of public properties. I’ve been looking hard for a water access only property in IN and only found one so far. I’ve found several in IL.

Indiana’s statewide regulations definitely aren’t trophy friendly. They don’t protect the public land at all. OBR has zero effect here. Add to that no hunter quotas, no NR quotas. 32 gun days, 16 in prime rut. 12 years of crossguns in archery season. Ya no thanks.

Managed by hillbilly’s. The four tards who sponsored the xgun legislation had as many DWI’s as they did college degrees, none of which were in wildlife biology. That’s who manages the deer! What a legacy.

Last edited:
After losing virtually my entire deer season to a severe case of Covid last year, I can’t describe how great it was just to be in a tree this fall. I spent the peak rut 2020 quarantined on a cot in my Kodiak 10'x10' tent. Getting out just once to go to the ER for oxygen. It was so awesome just to be outside to watch the leaves change and take in the views. On November 3rd I took a nice 140” Illinois buck with my first Illinois tag. Then on November 16th, after 32 years of bow hunting, my dream buck finally paid me a visit.

That morning I overslept an hour and had to rush just to get to my stand at dawn 6:15 am. That may have actually helped me. Wind was light and variable. I always move around between trees and areas to keep my setup clean. This buck may have been patrolling and scented me had I been there longer. Will never know. Was set up in a telephone pole tree 22’ high with a primary bedding area marsh to my back. Facing a thick briar filled clear cut. With timber, lots of rubs/scrapes beyond that 30 yards. Forty minutes later at 6:55 am this buck walks out of the marsh to my right 30 yards and I freeze. He was downwind but not completely. I had about a 15 degree advantage. My next pacer checkup at Central DuPage the cardio nurse is probably going to ask me what I was doing 11/16/21 at 6:55 am.

The buck stared me down for about 20 seconds, but I did not budge. To my surprise, he then just put his head down and proceeded across the clear cut. When he went behind a shrub, I was able to stay seated and pivot my legs to the right, in position to draw. 8” Tree was too thin to stand up and not shake. Buck walked up a trail I had ranged the evening before at 25 yards. My only chance would be to draw now, before the trail split, because if he took the right trail I would only see his rump. My mode shifted to stone cold and I held the 20 yard pin a bit high, rock steady at release. (My 30 yard pin had bent the day before pulling it through some briars) The pop sound on impact was right, but he bounded off before I could see the arrow. It was not an easy shot. I had to squat down to send arrow under an overhanging branch. And the buck’s bottom 1/3rd of his torso was covered by grass. Despite my confidence, I stayed on stand for 2 1/2 hours, giving him time.

At 9:30 I climbed down and began searching. Found no arrow and zero blood for an hour of searching, so began a grid search. Not ten minutes into it, looked up and saw an image I thought was a mirage. A bow hunter’s dream.

Most folks who looked at him estimate him at 190”. I have no idea because I’ve never shot anything close to this caliber. Will find out in January when I’ll have him measured by P&Y. Was very fortunate to buy the last real Illinois lifetime hunting license back in 2006. Finally paid off when I bailed on the state and moved here to Indiana two years ago. Otherwise I could not have even bought a 2nd archery buck tag this year, much less for only $26. Noticed this buck was blind on the driver’s side. Probably helped to prevent him from seeing me in that toothpick tree. No long armin in the photo.
Crazy looking and cool buck!

After losing virtually my entire deer season to a severe case of Covid last year, I can’t describe how great it was just to be in a tree this fall. I spent the peak rut 2020 quarantined on a cot in my Kodiak 10'x10' tent. Getting out just once to go to the ER for oxygen. It was so awesome just to be outside to watch the leaves change and take in the views. On November 3rd I took a nice 140” Illinois buck with my first Illinois tag. Then on November 16th, after 32 years of bow hunting, my dream buck finally paid me a visit.

That morning I overslept an hour and had to rush just to get to my stand at dawn 6:15 am. That may have actually helped me. Wind was light and variable. I always move around between trees and areas to keep my setup clean. This buck may have been patrolling and scented me had I been there longer. Will never know. Was set up in a telephone pole tree 22’ high with a primary bedding area marsh to my back. Facing a thick briar filled clear cut. With timber, lots of rubs/scrapes beyond that 30 yards. Forty minutes later at 6:55 am this buck walks out of the marsh to my right 30 yards and I freeze. He was downwind but not completely. I had about a 15 degree advantage. My next pacer checkup at Central DuPage the cardio nurse is probably going to ask me what I was doing 11/16/21 at 6:55 am.

The buck stared me down for about 20 seconds, but I did not budge. To my surprise, he then just put his head down and proceeded across the clear cut. When he went behind a shrub, I was able to stay seated and pivot my legs to the right, in position to draw. 8” Tree was too thin to stand up and not shake. Buck walked up a trail I had ranged the evening before at 25 yards. My only chance would be to draw now, before the trail split, because if he took the right trail I would only see his rump. My mode shifted to stone cold and I held the 20 yard pin a bit high, rock steady at release. (My 30 yard pin had bent the day before pulling it through some briars) The pop sound on impact was right, but he bounded off before I could see the arrow. It was not an easy shot. I had to squat down to send arrow under an overhanging branch. And the buck’s bottom 1/3rd of his torso was covered by grass. Despite my confidence, I stayed on stand for 2 1/2 hours, giving him time.

At 9:30 I climbed down and began searching. Found no arrow and zero blood for an hour of searching, so began a grid search. Not ten minutes into it, looked up and saw an image I thought was a mirage. A bow hunter’s dream.

Most folks who looked at him estimate him at 190”. I have no idea because I’ve never shot anything close to this caliber. Will find out in January when I’ll have him measured by P&Y. Was very fortunate to buy the last real Illinois lifetime hunting license back in 2006. Finally paid off when I bailed on the state and moved here to Indiana two years ago. Otherwise I could not have even bought a 2nd archery buck tag this year, much less for only $26. Noticed this buck was blind on the driver’s side. Probably helped to prevent him from seeing me in that toothpick tree. No long armin in the photo.
That is one awesome buck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back