If you backpack, Which one do you like?

Deerslayer:

Interesting subject for debate. I use to be of the opinion that it was best done with two backpacks. I used an internal frame pack (the NF Back Shadow) for general backpacking and for packing in the camp. I carried it mostly empty while hunting and then used it to carry out the first load of meat.

I bought the Cabelas Freighter Frame five years ago and I would leave it in the truck and switch to it to carry out the hind quarters and cape. Then switch back to the internal frame to go back in after my camp. As you know, the Cabelas Freighter Frame is the foundation to which the Alaska pack is attached.

The first time that I carried out a hind quarter, the nylon shelf ripped. I have since repaired that with heavy duty nylon webbing. I used the frame again this Fall to carry out a hind quarter and the fix seems to be holding. But I have a long torso. I'm only 5'-11" but a lot of that seems to be in the spine. So I need a tall pack. The Cabelas Freighter Frame can't be adjusted long enough to be comfortable for me. I will probably give it away to someone. Maybe the local Boy Scout troop.

KC

P.S. Both of the guys that I hunted with this Fall had old Coleman Peak One frame packs. You know they are the ones with the semi-flexible plastic external frame. Those packs seemed to work pretty good for both general backpacking and for packing out the animal.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-10-2003 07:12: Message edited by: KC ]</font>

KC....if yours was defective, you should have sent it back......another reason I like dealing with Cabela's....they are real good about taking their stuff back for exchange or refund. My extensions go up plenty high to suit me as the photo shows....

Here is my pack fully loaded to about 65lbs......mostly beer
wink.gif

packing.jpg

This was an uphill hike for about 5 miles and my pace was one that the horses frowned at most of the way....
wink.gif

Some of the really good packs mentioned here are $400 or more. My Alaskan II was around $100 when I bought it. So another point would be just how much are you gonna use it JB?...and do you want the best pack or just an adequate one? I tend to go middle of the road on most of my stuff......not the very best, but by far not the worst.......somewhere in between that will serve me well.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-10-2003 08:48: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

Watch it Ernie!
mad.gif
.....hehehheh.actually, they liked getting to graze every few hundrde yards while we had to wait on the photographer of that picture......he was a little gassed and used the photo ops as an excuse to hold up the pack train for a rest stop!
cool.gif

I use a welded aluminum external frame pack by Camp Trails. I recall I paid something around $100, 16 years ago. It has a lifetime warranty and they make good on it. I bent the frame on a bad fall when loaded with elk. I sent it to them and they sent me a new pack!

Since then I've replaced the suspension/hip belt 2x. Never torn the pack material, or had a zipper fail. Its a bullet proof pack. I'm sure there are better packs out there but I'll stick with old standby for now.

I'm 6'4" so opted for the x long frame model.

I bought an external frame pack from Remington in 1991. I still have it and have never needed any other pack. I think I paid around $100 for it when I got it. It's not the $$ spent on the gear that make it good but you need to know what quality is when your looking at it. I wouldn't own anything that is made by JanSport. My wife worked for them for a while when we lived in Everett, Wa and their quality is iffy at best.

I have an old Dana Stillwater, Arcflex internal pack that is unbeatable for a hunting pack. It's tougher than shit and convienient to use with lightweight and heavy/akward packs. I have some bigger and smaller Dana packs. They used to be the best when made in the USA, but I've seen the newer ones, which are cheaper in quality, but the same in price. I paid 175 for my Stillwater in a pawn shop, new condition. I think they were almost 500 new. I'd pay 500 in a heartbeat if I knew I could get two more just like this one I own.

Once you use a pack like that you will never ever ever go to an external frame pack of any sort.

WW, myself, and the few guys that we hunt with locally, all use Dana's Arcflex frame type packs. Terraplane, Astraplane, etc..

They used to manufacture them in town.. now they are done in Mexico, along with a different company owner.. the packs ain't what they used to be.

I use bull-pacs you can check them out at bullpacs.com hope this helps

Cool Guys!

Thanks for the input!
I tried several on and like the Cabelas
and the dana and that sale westman mentioned is a deal, but i couldnt find one to try on.

I'll probably buy a used one of them on ebay and save the extra $$ for elk tags
biggrin.gif

If i decide to buy a "new" one I would choose the cabelas because they have an easy return policy....just return it if you dont like it!

I'll be looking for one of these on ebay.
All I'm missing besides the pack is a rangefinder and 2 Lucky drawn elk tags.
drool.gif

I appreciate all the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back