Yeti GOBOX Collection

If Sturgeon spearing is lost, I may have to go spear somrone behind it!

Seeth, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this article after our dust-up today. No daylight between us on this one, I’m with you- have to keep it.

There are so many Sturgeon that even completely trashed wisconsites can bend over a hole cut in the ice and toss a Spear 15 feet into it and get lucky to stab a sturgeon
The Wisconsin DNR has been highly successful for many decades in scientifically managing sustainable sturgeon populations in the Lake Winnebago system. The Wisconsin Sturgeon plan is the "gold standard" of fisheries science for these fish. A genuine success story of scientific management of this extraordinary natural resource. If we do actually follow the science, it will lead us to the highly defensible position that sturgeon do not need to be on the endangered species list in Wisconsin.

Good luck to all of the spearing crews next month!

What do you do with a stabbed sturgeon? Afe the good to eat?

That, of course, has nothing do with whether they are at risk of endangerment, but, perhaps they are like Northern Wisconsin deer and need a little more protection, no?

Which species of sturgeon are we talking about?

150 years of Sturgeon management.

Attachments

• chronology-of-winnebago-sturgeon-regulations-and-events-1874-2011.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 11
What do you do with a stabbed sturgeon? Afe the good to eat?

That, of course, has nothing do with whether they are at risk of endangerment, but, perhaps they are like Northern Wisconsin deer and need a little more protection, no?

Which species of sturgeon are we talking about?
The meat itself is not top of the line. It is however good enough that I do eat it. Sort of like Pike. They are typically best used pickled or in a dish rather than deep or pan fried.

The caviar if you get a female is an acquired taste. I'm not fancy enough to enjoy it apparently.

The Spear season is highly regulated. They have a season in which spearing ends at noon and all fish taken have to be registered that day. Once a cap threshold is hit, it closes after the next day. The past few years conditions have not been great and the season has been going the whole duration and the target harvest hasn't been met. This year will be even worse and as a result I'm sure the harvest cap for next year will rise again.

@Big Fin I know you brought attention to the BS NR tag move in Iowa. Perhaps you can talk about the BS bill to manage deer based on politics rather than the system and biologists in place in WI too with a side dish of this Sturgeon ridiculousness?

2023 results on Bago: The ice conditions were not ideal and it was tough to get out on the ice with the big comfy shacks. Was mostly 4 wheeler traffic hauling out skid houses.
1706105411096.png

They increased the cap this year just slightly:
1706105486294.png

The upriver system is a "draw" to get a tag and it takes quite a few years to get the tag. It is desired because the lakes are much shallower and there is a higher concentration of sturgeon on lake Poygan, especially at the headwaters of the Wolf river and the harvest threshold (typically the adult female cap) is hit every year in a few days. So even if you draw the tag, your season may be cut short. However, from my experience, if you go the first two days you will have a chance to spear one as its not uncommon to see 3-5 of them in a morning swim by.

@Big Fin I know you brought attention to the BS NR tag move in Iowa. Perhaps you can talk about the BS bill to manage deer based on politics rather than the system and biologists in place in WI too with a side dish of this Sturgeon ridiculousness?
Marcus should do an Anyfin Goes episode at the Sturgeon spearing festivities.

Marcus should do an Anyfin Goes episode at the Sturgeon spearing festivities.
I could be his local tour guide :) We will start here in Fond du Lac at Lakeside park and work our way up to the famous Wendt's Supper club then across to Brothertown/Pipe. And that's just day one!

All of this publicity of a finite resource will likely increase competition.
These things can become a self fulfilling move. Just knowing it could disappear makes me want to go try it before it's gone.

All of this publicity of a finite resource will likely increase competition.
These things can become a self fulfilling move. Just knowing it could disappear makes me want to go try it before it's gone.
Which part, the spearing of a fish or the partying? If its the former, I will treat you like you treat me heading to ID to hunt an elk. If the latter, I'll give you a bed and all the beer you can drink!

Back