Ideas to lighten the load on an Alaknak 12x12

2rocky

Horse Packed in this elk season with the full complement of side poles and center pole to our 12x12 Alaknak II, along with a KNI-CO stove.

Once in Camp, It performed outstanding. What concerns me is the 68 pound (38 for tent only, 20 for poles), as well as the length of the poles in a Mantied side pack.

Has anyone had luck sectioning the side poles and retaining the strength necessary for Wyoming winds and Wet Snow?

Don't know if the Alaknak has the option, but many "spike" type tents have the option of using a rope to hang the tent instead of a center pole. If it does or can be fitted for a loop at the top, that might be a way to cut down some on weight. I've stayed in a wall tent made of the same material and didn't miss the floor one bit, so you could probably get away with cutting most of the floor out to drop some weight. Just some ideas...

I've seen folks cut the side poles in half and put them back together with a coupling in the field.

I'd say finding something soft to cap off a lodegpole center pole would work just fine.

1 pointer- Yes there is a ring at top. So far I've only used that to dry the tent in the barn. It is something to consider though. thanks for bringing that option up..

Dink, I'd like to get coupling ideas as well...

I made my own poles out of 10 guage electrical conduit. I used 3/4" conduit for the "coupling". The fitting was a bit loose so I simply wrapped a few layers of duct tape to take up the slack. It worked great and saved money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back