Ideal Wolf Hunting Dates for a Winter Trip?

daltrix99

Hey folks. I am making a dedicated offer for a Wolf (or two) this winter. Cabin rental in NW Montana for 4-5 days. I know the area well, and have been close to killing a Wolf a couple of times before.

My question for you guys - is there an ideal time period you would look to book from January 1 to March 15? I am wide open to book in that window. Curious to hear thoughts and advice!

Thanks all

I have limited experience and speak w/o a wolf pelt resume.
What I was advised for winter wolf hunting in thick timbered areas (MT - R1, in general). When lakes freeze.
I had my close, though no cigar opportunities staged along lakes as it's one of the *better opportunities to have a shot and set decoy/call.

Then again - see resume. ;)

Best to ya! Hope to read and see pics!

My absolute favorite time to hunt wolves in areas with heavy timber is from opening day on September 15th till the first day of the general season which is sometime around the second or third week of October. Nobody in the woods and the wolves are fairly relaxed. Most importantly you can move quietly and cover a tremendous amount of ground, you're not crunching snow or roaring around on a snowmobile. I'm still getting after them pretty good right now. (Got super close on Saturday, just couldn't get a clear shot in the brush). If you are wanting to hunt the winter season, accessibility is going to be tough. You will need a good truck probably with chains, and a snowmobile. Obviously any walking is going to be much much harder/noisier also. Good luck.

I am thinking about a wolf hunt sometime during that same period. Once I firm up my dates, I will let you know because the best time will likely be either the week before I am there or the week after I leave — just like elk hunting. 😀

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back