MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho whitetail?

Hem

So a buddy and I are finally going to give Northern Idaho whiteys a try.Wanted to do this for a few years now and its time.Curious if any Idaho guys would care to pm with some answers to general questions.We have researched deer populations i.e. unit information regarding population of mature bucks etc. and have a general sense about good possibilities.I think the main question I have concerns terrain/growth.We would prefer hunting public land that has a mixture of timber and open ground.Obviously much of the N'atl forest is timber with possible clear cuts but given the climate I am guessing many clear cuts quickly fill in with undergrowth and are not as open as perceived.We have done well in Montana rattling bucks ,mostly river bottom hunting, so the notion of hunting thick timber is not out of the question but I think we would prefer to hunt an area that has a mixture of thick and open for the fun factor of possibly seeing deer before they are in your lap. Are we better off considering areas North of interstate 90 or possibly the fringe ground further south? I am inclined to search out Public land that has non-motorized roads we can get back on a good distance to separate from the masses.If anybody would care to share some info to help us in a general direction,it would be greatly appreciated.The only way we will really get an idea is to go for it,so I am anticipating it taking a few trips to figure things out.

The panhandle is largely wet jungle. The exception is the canyon country of the Clearwater. (Which can be steep, wet jungle.) It does grow deer, though. Definitely different from Montana riverbottoms and hay fields. I think you're on the right trail though -- hunting edges of cutting units from closed logging roads. There is a lot of both national forest and company timber land. There is still a good bit of active logging in the panhandle, which is good for whitetails. And you're right -- second growth comes in quick and thick. If you want more open country, the canyon country say around Orofino. There is some opportunities around ag land around the Palouse, but public access is more of a challenge.

My Mom's uncle wrote a book called "They Came to Hunt" by Jack Skille.

he guided for whitetail in the panhandle and NW MT. Mostly stories but might be worth trying to find a copy. I Haven't read it for a few years, so I can't remember much about it, I should read it again.

Thanks guys.All info helps.We are finding we have more contacts with folks that are more familiar with this country,than we thought.There is a fair amount of reference to Idaho whitetail on line.General studies aside, plenty of sites to view photo galleries,where I look at the back ground as much as the animal.I'm thinking a road trip might be in order to take a first hand look.Admittedly we are after larger bucks,but it is just as important that we find a location where the quality of hunt is rewarding ,so making the extra effort to get farther in possibly to those in-between locations is somewhat natural for us.Late muzzleloader sounds appealing so we don't lose any of our generous season here in Montana.;) Mostly it is fun to plan an out-of-state hunt,something we never have felt compelled to do.

Ive had good luck rattling in North ID (priest lake area) on the edge of clear cuts

If you can concentrate your effort to week of thanksgiving you will have the best results. I have shot a lot of deer on or around the 25th. Good luck on your hunt

Back