Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Unit 66 wolves?

archerynut21

I’ve heard from people that there are wolves in 66 while hearing from others there aren’t. Do any of you have experience with this? As in have any of you cut wolf sign, heard them, or seen them in unit 66? I would rather not run into them with dogs. Thanks.

Hunted cow elk here last year. Didn’t see any wolves, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there.

Backcountry Idaho; you can just assume there’s wolves and take precaution accordingly.

I've never heard or seen them in 66. Not to say one couldn't wander into that area. I think there used to be a documented pack in that area and it is no longer documented meaning it no longer exists. I think if you ran into some there it would be a one off deal and its not something I would be concerned with if I was going there with dogs.

We run hounds for bears and a bear can cover a lot of country. I like to keep eyes on them as much as possible. But that stuff has a lot more timber and I know there are dogs killed fairly frequently in 67 by wolves so it makes me wonder. Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it!

5 or so years ago there were 2 sepearte incidents of bear hounds killed by the pack near White Owl Butte in Madison County, unit 64. Never heard of a dog being killed in 67. The last confirmed pack in 67 was completley terminated after they crushed a sheep heard but that's been some years ago. I'm sure there are some wolves and brown bears in 67 but they are few and far between.

I should have clarified. The dogs have been killed on the boundary line of 64 and 67 in Moody Meadows/Argument Ridge. Not all the dogs I’ve heard being about being killed have been reported. I also talked to a guy from fish and game who said steer clear of 67. There were also dogs killed in 66A last year. That’s why I am a little leery.

Last edited:
Fish Cop in 66A said he was pretty confident those dogs were killed by a cat when I chatted with him. With the closure of the Palisades cow tag and attempt to bolster some of those elk numbers it will interesting to see if more established packs pop up. There are a lot of sheep and cattle grazed on 65,67,66 etc for potential conflict. Let alone dogs.

Never saw or heard a wolf when Ive been in ID but I know they were in same area the week b4 or shortly after I left they are pretty mobile from what I understand

Interesting the Fish and game guy I talked to said they got killed during spring bear by wolves? Who knows. Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate it.

They can be in 66 but not superly common. They do a pretty good job of keeping Wolves knocked down in high livestock areas in eastern Idaho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back