Idaho Unit 4

Espn3_dc33

Hello I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for hunting unit 4 in Idaho? This is my first time going to Idaho for a hunt and the first time to this area. What I was thinking is hunting the CDL national forest November 1-5th. I can hunt mule or white tail. I would appreciate any input and advice if anyone would like to share. Thank you all for your time and have a good season.

Welcome to HuntTalk. We say CDA rather that than "CDL". We say "Spo-Can", not "Spo-Cane". There are people that will take notes on that.

Make sure your tag says "Regular Deer" on it if you plan to target mule deer in unit 4 that week. Otherwise it's a whitetail only hunt.
Plan for wet snow conditions and travel. You will see 98 percent whitetails. There are grizzly bears in parts of the unit.

This is a pre-rut time frame. When the snow hits the tops, the does will move down to the creek bottoms first. The bucks will drop down last. If there is no snow they will all be higher.
You will find scrapes on some ridgelines. They will not be working them too hard yet, but its a good place to start. Look for rubbed trees as well.

Have a way to get out of the wet and dry your gear. It will be wet. This is thick country. I highly recommend waterproof or goretex boot and gaiters. Bring quality rain gear as well.

There will likely be logging operations going on in the unit even in November. Watch for log trucks on the roads.

If you are renting a rig in Spokane, see if you can get one with an Idaho plate. I doubt anyone will give you any shit, though. I'm a resident and I have had it suggested that I go somewhere else while I was scouting for bears in the spring in Unit 4. I was probably in someone's secret spot. The plate that will draw the most attention is a Washington plate. Even if you don't drink beer keep it in camp in case someone stops in, (like me). Nobody bitches about a guy who hands them a beer. This is the shortest path from the being "another out of stater" to "cool guy" in the woods.

Thank you very much for all the good info and once I get up there I will have beer on ice and you are welcome to stop by for a few.

Watch the wind and move slow glassing ahead through the brush/trees as you move between spots. Look for big community scrapes on ridges/benches and the trails that lead to them. A lot of terrain options between timber company lands to more remote roadless areas so you can pick the type of hunt you want. I would not expect to see a lot of hunters during the week, but I could be wrong on that. There are some big whitetails out there but they are like ghosts. I am always surprised by the amount of deer sign I see when it snows compared to the actual deer sightings. A lot of guys will be out on the weekend trying to find mule deer in the highest country since that season is short.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back