Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Unit 39

ericl23

Hi All

I recently moved to Boise from So Cal. I’ve only been hunting for a few seasons so I don’t have a lot of experience but am trying to plan for the upcoming deer season. I will wait until Aug to see if there are any controlled hunt tags available but most likely I will be hunting Unit 39 during the general season but have a bow and could hunt the archery season. I was hoping someone with knowledge of the area could give me some guidance. I will be hunting solo and don’t have a 4x4. I will eventually buy a Truck but wanted to wait to see what the roads and weather are like before deciding on which truck. I am in decent shape and willing to hike. I did a little scouting up highway 21 past Idaho City and drove some of the FS roads but was concerned that the roads may not be drive-able without a 4x4 during the general or archery seasons. What is the furthest I could get from Boise without a 4x4? Plus no cell phone reception worries me. Should I consider purchasing a satellite phone?

Thanks, Eric

You can park on the pavement in your 2 wheel drive, and just hike up from the highway to an area with few roads.

The steeper your hike, the better.
The farther from ALL roads, the better.
There are deer everywhere in Unit 39, AWAY from the roads.
If you can find an area on a map, that is 1 mile away from all roads, go there. There will be deer in that country.

Good luck.

While attending Boise State, I hunted the late archery season many times with a front wheel drive car. Just be aware of the boundaries if you choose the archery hunt. They are different than the rifle hunt.

If you choose the general season rifle hunt, follow Jose's advice.

39 holds deer, just take advice from the fellows above. Hike and glass away from the roads. You will see lots of people around Idaho City. 39 is a huge unit so keep your options open. Good luck!!

Most likely you will see snow on the late archery hunt. Don't forget to purchase an archery permit if you hunt the late season.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went to the IDFG office in Boise and the lady at the counter printed me a map of 39 that included the closures. She said it was for Elk but it looks like it applies to archery Deer also. Do more people road hunt during the general season than archery season? I will definitely look into the DeLorme inReach.

If you were to buy a 4x4 strictly for hunting, fishing..., would you buy new or used and which one? I know it depends on cost and personal taste but I would like to buy one that matches the needs. No more no less. Just trying to get an idea of what is required to navigate the roads during winter. Hopefully this doesn't start a truck war.

Thanks, Eric

When it comes to buying a rig just for hunting or fishing, I like to say and firmly believe that you need to buy something that you aren't afraid to get dirty or scratched up. So used would probably be best. I hunted and fished for a long time just driving a Ford Ranger, and I still wish I had that truck, the four wheel drive and manual transmission made that little rig a tank, and it was small, so I could take it up some fairly nasty roads without worrying about making corners etc...

Your best bet in that country is to save some money on the truck and spend it on boots.

Huntid73

I agree. Why buy a new truck then have to worry about it getting banged up. I just need to find something on the smaller side like a Tacoma but them damn trucks are expensive even used. My other option is to look for a used Ford, Dodge or Chevy but they are bigger than I would like.

Eric

My daughter in Denver found a Ford Ranger 4X4 about a year and half past. Vehicle had 180,000 pus miles. She needed a vehicle ASAP. Asking price was around 4500, Risky, but the previous owner kept immaculate service records. Bought it cash. Best buy on a vehicle I have ever made,

The previous owner was moving from Colorado to Montana or Wyoming. I would not be surprised if he in on here.

Still running strong. We have kept up the maintence.

I think that is the route I'm going to have to go. Just have to keep my eye out. I've read that dealers are going to have to deal a lot of cars coming off lease in the next few years which will push down used car prices. Hopefully some of those will be trucks.

Eric

I usually see more game walking than driving. In 39, with all of the vehicles and atvs that will be on the roads, i use boots more than tires. Like someone said above, get away from the roads, let the people that won't walk drive game to you. As for the phone thing, one of the reasons I hunt is to get away from mine!

Thanks Choc Dogs

I've been going over the maps to find some spots that are away from roads. It's going to be hard because there are a lot of roads. I agree it's nice being off the grid but I worry about having a emergency while hunting solo. Having a Delorme Inreach or similar would make me feel a little better.

Eric

if you get away from the roads, 39 is an amazing unit. Be there early and glass and leave late, you will be successful.

There are a ton of cheap decent vehicles in Boise. Personally I would buy something small, toyota, nissan or similar. I used my Xterra last year hunting the late 39 archery hunt and it did great. Like others have said there are lots of deer, If i lived in Boise i would probably do general season on weekends and evenings and late archery with my vacation. It is an awesome hunt and awesome unit, I will be back this year with two tags in my pocket, I saw a ton of bucks every day last year and ended up killing a ok 4 point with my bow on my 4th day over there.

The snow up out of ID city will be deep, even with the Xterra aired down i got up to a couple of spots to where i wasn't really comfortable going because the snow was a couple feet deep on the sides of the road. I didn't see any animals up that high that late anyways I think they already migrated through.

Maxxis31

I'm keeping any eye out for a used tacoma. Hopefully one with not too many miles, that's in decent shape will cross my path. I like that hunting strategy. Thanks for reaffirming my concerns about the roads around ID city.

Eric

39 probably has one of the highest densities of deer in the state IMO but doesn't mean you won't have to work for it and outsmart some of the other people, get up high use glass be smart play the wind. And hunting the late archery hunt is a hell of a time as well

my buddy and I drew the late season archery tag in 39 this year…. Should we expect lots of snow?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back