MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Unit 17 over the Counter

kellerdairyhunter

I am looking into doing an over the counter elk/deer hunt in Idaho this fall. I have been looking at unit number 17. Does anybody have any input in whether its a good unit for a beginner? or should I keep looking?
Thanks in advance!!

Idaho wilderness = lower than normal animal densities and extremely rugged terrain. Go there for the adventure factor but little else.

There are many other zones with elk numbers at objective and more reasonable terrain. It's a really neat experience though.

Hunted unit 17 for the first time last year. Beautiful country. EXTREMELY steep! Better be a world class athlete if you plan on hunting on foot. I hiked 35 miles in four days of hunting and saw one whitetail doe. Three out of the four trail heads that we headed out of had horse tracks in them . Area is hunted mostly by outfitters. The one trail that didn't have any horse tracks or boot tracks at the trail head by far had the best fresh elk sign. So if I were to go back, that would be my focus... Try to find a trail head that looks like no one has gone down recently. And to do that you will have to get deep in the middle of the zone. Check out the trail heads off of Hell's half acre.

Classic experience in the Idaho wilderness. A bunch of pretty, empty country these days. Looow densities of game.

Back