Idaho Turkey

Smitty19

I finally have a job were I can go out on weekdays and get away from the crowds. I have lived here my whole life and have gone turjey hunting a couple times but never found any birds. I was wondering if anybody knew some decent spots to start looking in southwestern Idaho. I am not looking for anybodies secret spots, just some areas where I can start looking.

I shot a jake a number of years ago up near the Cottonwood ranger station by Arrowrock reservoir. We didn't see a ton of birds but it was fun regardless. I haven't hunted much around Garden Valley, Sweet, Ola, Placerville, Centerville, etc. but they say birds are there and huntable. Normally we head up north to Council but it might be tricky this year with the amount of snow they have.

Smitty19, if you go out hunt them this spring, post some results.

Only turkey I ever saw or met in ID was when I was much younger and a lot more foolish.
Me and a couple of buddies hired a "turkey" to pack us and camp into Selway-Bitterroot! He's long since out of businees and we never made the same mistake!
Can't call anyone in ID "turkey" now as my grand-daughter is married to an Idahoan! Great "kid"...on his third tour in Iraq where they met!
Good luck on finding a gobbling Turkey, not one like I found!

welll drove up there this morning, about a foot of snow on the road right off the highway. How close will the turkey follow the snow line? The south facing slopes are pretty clear up there but there is still quite a bit in the trees and the northern slopes.

Turkeys don't care if there is snow or not. I've seen them up high running around on top of 5 foot of snow.

Thorn creek would be a better bet for you, or like earlier mentioned down in cottonwood..... I guided cougar hunters all winter in there, and I can say there was no birds on granite creek/rabbit creek or pine creek, there was a few in the places I earlier mentioned though.....it was a pretty tough winter in many of those areas and what birds there were pushed down lower. They may return, but with the snow pack thats still around, am guessing they will hang lower for longer also..

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back